Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? about making potholders... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-making-potholders-t72558.html)

Butterflyblue 10-27-2010 05:57 AM

I'd say you need at least 2 layers of cotton batting. I've also done some with one layer of cotton batting and two layers of flannel (one on each side of the batting). I have a big piece of flannel that got sun damaged, so that's about all it's good for.

belmer 10-27-2010 08:41 AM

I do exactly the same thing. I always use Insulbrite only because I do not want someone to burn themselves when I give them as gifts.

Originally Posted by scrapykate
I use both, the Insulbright on the side that goes toward the pot and the warm and natural toward the hand. Makes a nice pot holder.

mollymct 10-27-2010 08:43 AM

I need to make some potholders! I could use some new ones and I could practice some FMQ. I think I might just use Warm and Natural. I'd think it would be enough for me, since I often just grab a dishcloth to remove hot pans from the oven! I don't care for a super thick potholder--I like 'em bendy.

Scissor Queen 10-27-2010 09:07 AM

The potholders I made for myself and have been using for several years now are made with two layers of Quilter's Dream request weight.

icon17 10-27-2010 10:41 AM

When I make mine I use 3 layers of W&N.

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
I use regular Warm & Natural. Insulbright is also something you could use. I have it and have used it, but I prefer W&N.

That's what I have, Warm and Natural, but it seems kind of thin, I made one potholder and tested it on a hot pan but I could still feel the heat. Should I double up the batting?

8-)

miss_ticky2 10-27-2010 11:13 AM

I made some just recently..I used Insulbrite sandwiched between 2 layers of cotton batting. They ended up fairly stiff but should soften up with washing.
I gave them to a friend and she said they were great..not burnt fingers :)

pocoellie 10-27-2010 11:45 AM

I use 1 layer on insul-brite and 2 layers of warm and natural. You can also use old towels instead of the warm and natural.

needlenut 10-28-2010 03:33 AM

I used a nice thick towel for pot holders that my daughter requested for part of her Christmas. Only two layers were needed, I printed on copy paper a quilting design, pinned it on the top, FMQ it,and used a regular bias binding. She loves them. They are thick, soft, and bendable and no burned fingers. The only towel I could find in the right color was a large thick bath towel and even after making four potholders I still had enough to hem for a nice sized towel.

janb 10-28-2010 06:16 AM

I have used double layers of left over fleece...works OK but will try the product mentioned above. Thanks for the information.

chamby 10-28-2010 06:53 AM

Thanks for the infomation here. I will try a layer of insul brite and W&N on my next pot holders.