Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? about quilt dimension (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/about-quilt-dimension-t93040.html)

lvaughan 01-23-2011 06:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have been working on a quilt for quite some time, it's not difficult but I am stumped about what size to make it. I am making it for a full size bed, mattress measures 54x75. My quilt top measures 56x84. I need to extend the sides but not so much the length. All that I have left of the focal fabric is a partial Moda scrap bag of 3 3/4" width strips. My sister suggested that I use the quilt like a bedspread with the pillow tuck, I'm not sure I like the look and my husband does not like it at all. I have been using the scrap bag fabrics to make the strip along the side of the quilt. Anyway, I would like your suggestions. Do you like the bedspread look of the pillowtuck? How would you proceed with extending the width without the extending the length more than a little bit.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

dpparris 01-23-2011 06:33 AM

I would add the strip on the side and use it like a quilt. if you still need more width and have enough scraps, make the border two rows. I am not a big fan of pillow tuck either.

Terryl 01-23-2011 06:37 AM

I really like your quilt. If it were me I'd put the borders on especially if you're going to sleep under it. You need a little extra width to allow for the body lying under it. Of course I also think it needs to be a little longer if you're going to tuck the pillows because it looks as if it just reaches the foot of the bed. Sorry if that sounded critical, I don't mean it to be, just my preference is a drop all around. I hope you post the finished quilt however you decide to to it as I think you have a lovely quilt.

madelinkk 01-23-2011 06:38 AM

The quilt is beautiful. I like the quilt used as a bedspread, tucked under the pillows.

QuiltedAngel 01-23-2011 06:49 AM

you have strips make a piano key boarder :) <3???

sherriequilts 01-23-2011 07:05 AM

I love piano key borders, but (IMHO) I think a single fabric border in a complementing color fairly wide would work very well. I would also like pillow (shams) instead of the pillow tuck. Good luck. Quilt well and show us what you decided when your are finished.

CoyoteQuilts 01-23-2011 07:05 AM

No pillow tuck here. When I need added width and little length I add a border on 3 sides. Each side and the bottom. See my avatar, that is what I did with this quilt. One border all around and 2 more on the 3 sides.

Good luck and it's a beautiful quilt!

BETTY62 01-23-2011 07:05 AM

I love your quilt. I think either way would be nice and that it is really a personal preference.

drivingsusan 01-23-2011 07:26 AM

Love your quilt!!!
No pillow tuck here either!!
I like the idea of a solid border, too.

Enchanted Quilter 01-23-2011 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
I love piano key borders, but (IMHO) I think a single fabric border in a complementing color fairly wide would work very well. I would also like pillow (shams) instead of the pillow tuck. Good luck. Quilt well and show us what you decided when your are finished.

I agree ditto