Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt Cutting Mats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-cutting-mats-t296811.html)

Schill93 05-09-2018 10:31 AM

Accuquilt Cutting Mats

I purchased a AccuQuilt Baby, and was cutting out some 5" tumblers. I cut approximately 3 charm packs of cotton fabric, which is less than 3 yards and my mat has worn out already. Is this normal?

It has cracks all over. I cut either 3 or 4 charms at a time. I alternate the sides of mat as suggested.
What is your experience with the longevity of these mats?

QuiltnNan 05-09-2018 10:57 AM

i'm surprised that they don't last longer, too. i've cut about 5 lap quilts with mine before it gave out.

patricej 05-09-2018 10:59 AM

they do look awful before long but unless it's broken it's still good.

just to be on the safe side, try sending a photo to accuquilt customer service to see what they say.

Rhonda K 05-09-2018 11:09 AM

Yes the mats will show cut grooves on them. Rotate the mat a little each time so you aren't cutting the exact same spot.

The mat should still be good for cutting.

PaperPrincess 05-09-2018 11:10 AM

If they still cut, they are still useable. You can extend the life a bit by putting a sheet of paper (copy paper, newsprint) between the fabric & the cutting mat. The mat will show cut marks. It's not like a self healing rotary mat, but should not be actually cracked...

quiltingcandy 05-09-2018 12:11 PM

They do look pretty sad after a while - but I have gone to the longer mats for those quilts because it's easier to put the mat in a different position. Same for using a smaller one when using just a portion of a die. The rest of die just passes under it.

cathyvv 05-09-2018 01:22 PM

Does it have scratches or cracks?

I have a studio, and the mats for that are a hard plastic. I've been using it for about 3 years. It's scratched up, but it still works just fine. It looks like heck, but works just fine.

If it literally does not work anymore, call accuquilt to find out why it is worn out.

Kitsie 05-09-2018 02:15 PM

Yes! Unless I need the grid on the mat, which I can always do without, turn to cut on the diagonal and/or outer edges a lot!

hobbykat1955 05-10-2018 12:50 PM

When I got my "Go" when they first came out they gave a mat that was gray and lasted much longer...Then I noticed
they started to sell the white ones that don't last long...it's all abt money. So I try to use the small mat over the cut I'm making if the die has several diff cuts I don't need...Why put additional cuts into the lg mat if not covered by material.
I just treated myself to the new electric...will sell other on ebay. Cant wait to have the ease of not having to crank anymore!

quiltingshorttimer 05-10-2018 07:39 PM

besides moving the mat each time to lessen spot that gets cut into; having 4-6 layers helps--the die and machine are made to cut that many and if you aren't cutting enough layers the die cuts deeper into the mat. (which is why using paper or cardstock between fabric and mat helps.

there is a FB page for Accuquilt users that has lots of tips that you might be interested in, too.