Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt Mats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-mats-t315968.html)

cheryl222 07-27-2021 10:08 AM

Accuquilt Mats

Has anyone had any luck using a cutting mat other than the ones that came with the Accuquilt? It is very hard to find some of the right size and was wondering if cricut or other mats would work.

sewingpup 07-27-2021 10:14 AM

Are you having trouble getting them locally, I know some of the chain stores only carry a few sizes. Whenever I have ordered a new die from Accuquilt itself, I generally get enough mats to get free shipping. I have heard of some people cutting done the big ones to make smaller ones. I would think it might be hard to find replacement mats as you would have to have the same thickness and density as the cutting blades are hard on the mats. I try and change the position of the mat when I place it on the die just a bit to try and keep a groove from forming especially on the strip dies. Quilt in a day, sometimes has mats on sale I believe.

Rhonda K 07-27-2021 01:40 PM

Try Quilt in a Day. There is usually free shipping on products.

I haven’t used or tried any other brand of mats.

Onebyone 07-27-2021 01:46 PM

If the mat is thinner then the Accuquilt mat you can use paper as a shim on top of the fabric or more fabric layers. I have used old cutting mats but they don't last long at all. Don't use a too thick a mat, it could damage the die blades. Accuquilt had a 44% off sale a few days ago. I stocked up on mats.

Goatmom 07-28-2021 06:49 AM

Accuquilt Mats

I'm really new to using an Accuquilt Go Me, only used it once so far. Used 4 layers of fabric and it cut beautiful but it cut into the mat. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Jennifer

sewingpup 07-28-2021 07:25 AM

It is normal to see some track marks....but it should not be cutting into very far. How deep are the cuts, or is it just more like scratches on the top? My mats will break on the lines made especially my long strip boards. But it does take a while but I can start to see the lines shortly after I start using them. The scratch lines don't matter unless they get deep enough that they start not cutting in places although I sometimes need to clip a thread or 2. When they get used enough, they will actually "crack" and you will not be able to cut with them. When the mats are used enough that they are leaving a thread or two to cut or look like the groove is getting deeper, I will go ahead a order a replacement mat. I like to have pre-ordered replacement mats to have on hand for my most used dies..but don't get too many as the mats can "age" and get brittle too...that however would probably be years rather than months.

Goatmom 07-28-2021 07:41 AM

Accuquilt Mats

I'll have to look at it again. Had the youngest grandson with us and had to get him home. I just noticed them as I was putting it away. Thanks!
Jennifer

juliasb 07-28-2021 08:22 AM

I will usually buy mats when I can get free shipping. I like to keep one extra on hand. I haven't been using Accuquilt long enough to have one wear out on me. In the year and 1/2 that I have been using it, almost daily I have bought a couple mats from QIAD because of the free shipping and they are frequently on sale there.

SusieQOH 07-29-2021 08:50 AM

Quilt in a Day sells them with free shipping. I bought some today. Not expensive.

QuiltnLady1 07-29-2021 01:09 PM

Amazon usually carries the mats and some of the dies - the prices are about what you see on Accuquilt (and sometimes are shipped from Accuquilt).

When using my mats, I flip them, move them a bit so I do not always cut in the same place, and have the mat a bit off of straight so I can prolong the life. I have the GO Big because of hand and arm issues and have been able to really use the mats a long time.