Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   AccuQuilt New Use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-new-use-t228475.html)

Alice PD 08-21-2013 06:34 PM

AccuQuilt New Use

I'm working on my first time applique quilt (Sue Garmen's Happy Daze) It has 9 very prominent pinwheels with 16 blades each (You only need to applique 8) I wanted their curved edges to be perfectly smooth. I made template after template and each one had a wobble in/on it. I took my template material (old greeting card) to my accuquilt, found the appropriate size circle to match the curve on my blades, and cut my template with that. Now my template is perfectly smooth around all the bends.

Second thing I discovered...I am using the starch method of folding your edges for applique. I starched my pieces heavely, ironed them dry, placed the template on them in just the right place, then with a small bowl of water and my finger, I rubbed water on the seams to be folded over (that rehydrated the starch). Then took my iron and carefully ironed over each edge. It Worked! All the edged stayed down as if I had glued them. Removing them from my template (quite soon after pressing them - remember I have a card-stock template) was moderately easy too (had I waited too long to remove the pressed over fabric, I think the fabric would have stuck too hard to the card stock template). These two processes have produced perfect pieces to be appliqued. Some days are just great!!!

Question: Do you think I could have cut mylar plastic with my AccuQuilt? Or would that have been to much for the cutter?

Alice

yngldy 08-21-2013 06:56 PM

I do my applique almost the same way, although I do not have an Accuquilt. I use mylar, cut out the shape, and use that to cut the fabric. I then put the shape over the fabric, starch the edges to be turned with a small paintbrush, and use the iron to turn the edges. Makes the edges smooth as well as easier and quicker to applique to the block. You won't get bumps if you cut slowly and don't stop the cut on the curve. You have to turn the mylar as you cut with the scissors. It took me a couple trys before I did it right. Kept wanting to let the scissors do the driving!

bearisgray 08-21-2013 07:03 PM

I have used a file/emery board to smooth the rough edge of a template.

Alice PD 08-21-2013 07:40 PM

Thanks for responding. I'll keep practicing. I have been stopping in the middle of the curve, so if I just keep going maybe I can get rid of the wobble. If I don't succeed.....I'll use the emery board! I'm sure glad I picked a project with only 1 shape to applique. I think I have a new addiction.

PaperPrincess 08-22-2013 04:38 AM

Anything you can cut with scissors, you can cut with a Go! die. Stay away from sandpaper (ask me how I know). The more detailed the die, the lighter you'd wanat to go material-wise. Template material should be no problem.

BellaBoo 08-22-2013 04:56 AM

I don't baby my Go. If it can be cut with regular scissors then it has probably been through my machine. I have cut thousands of hex papers from lightweight card stock and the die still cuts four layers of fabric just fine.

bearisgray 08-22-2013 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6248589)
Anything you can cut with scissors, you can cut with a Go! die. Stay away from sandpaper (ask me how I know). The more detailed the die, the lighter you'd wanat to go material-wise. Template material should be no problem.

I was talking about a plastic or paper template -

What are you referring to?

Alice PD 08-22-2013 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6249088)
I was talking about a plastic or paper template -

What are you referring to?

I was talking about heat resistant mylar (Templar)