Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt or other cutting system? Are they worth it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-other-cutting-system-they-worth-t179222.html)

terlyn 02-13-2012 07:47 AM

Accuquilt or other cutting system? Are they worth it?

I am thinking of getting a cutting system mainly for strips and rag quilts. Which system is the best in your opinion? What about the Accuquilt? Do they work good for rag quilts and are the other strips accurate?
Thanks Terry

mighty 02-13-2012 07:58 AM

I have the accuquilt go and studio have not made a rag quilt but love the cutters!!!

BellaBoo 02-13-2012 08:04 AM

I have the Go and would buy it again. I have the rag die and it works great. Many will post the dies cost too much. That's part of it, the system never gets boring. You have to replace the cutting mats as they get worn out but they are inexpensive. Remember to put a thin piece of paper over the die blade before the fabric when you cut a rag block. It keeps the strings out of the die. The only die I had problems with it not being accurate was the 6 1/2" square but found out I was not cutting on grain so the fabric was stretching when the die cut it. The other shapes and sizes I haven't had a problem with accuracy. I cut out every piece of a DWR queen size quilt in less then 30 minutes Sat. If I had the Studio model it would have taken about 10 minutes!

knlsmith 02-13-2012 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4971188)
I have the Go and would buy it again. I have the rag die and it works great. Many will post the dies cost too much. That's part of it, the system never gets boring. You have to replace the cutting mats as they get worn out but they are inexpensive. Remember to put a thin piece of paper over the die blade before the fabric when you cut a rag block. It keeps the strings out of the die. The only die I had problems with it not being accurate was the 6 1/2" square but found out I was not cutting on grain so the fabric was stretching when the die cut it. The other shapes and sizes I haven't had a problem with accuracy. I cut out every piece of a DWR queen size quilt in less then 30 minutes Sat. If I had the Studio model it would have taken about 10 minutes!

wow! I want to to do a DWR, but all thos pieces.... I have thought about buying one of these cutters.. but I just can't seem to do it..

luvTooQuilt 02-13-2012 08:15 AM

I have the Go. Love it.... Keep extra mats on hand as they wear out...

Also do a Accuquilt search here on the board.. You will get lots of different threads posted and tons of comments

Dolphyngyrl 02-13-2012 08:26 AM

I have the sizzix and love it, dont have many dies yet

BellaBoo 02-13-2012 11:04 AM

When I see a die I don't have at a good sale price I buy it even though I don't have a plan to making a quilt with it then. When the Go first came out not many knew what it was or that it was even available. I found a dealer on Ebay that was selling her inventory cheap. I have no idea how she had so many dies so fast. Didn't ask. LOL. I have all the basic dies and now collecting the newer ones when I see them on sale.

Hen3rietta 02-13-2012 01:50 PM

I have the Accuquilt Studio and it works just the way it says it does and I would recommend it for anyone who knows they will be cutting hundreds and hundreds of the same standard size. I have a die for my favorite size binding. a mixed size square - to size up those irregular scraps, and a couple of custom dies. For me the price was worth it weighed against personal frustration in hand cutting all those pieces.