Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt Prices going up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-prices-going-up-t318278.html)

sewingsuz 05-20-2022 05:58 PM

Accuquilt Prices going up

I got an email today telling me they get their wood from Russia and they are going to get the wood some where else. I did not know the dies were made of wood?

Minnesewta-sam 05-21-2022 04:46 AM

I got that too. I thought it was because I have a studio cutter. Those are wood based.

sewingpup 05-21-2022 05:44 AM

Don't we have wood here? OK, maybe they need hard old growth wood and/or hardwood. I know in Minnesota, most of that stuff is gone, gone, gone. They did replant, but it was mostly poplar because it makes good paper and it grows fast. If you want to see big trees, you will find them in cities now, there are still a few protected patches but not many.

mkc 05-21-2022 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup (Post 8552640)
Don't we have wood here? OK, maybe they need hard old growth wood and/or hardwood.

Baltic birch plywood. Very different from "normal" plywood. Extremely stable.

It's produced in just a few areas, namely Russia and Finland.

a 5x5 ft panel is approaching $100. A 4x8 sheet almost $200. It's used by furniture and cabinet makers.

Onebyone 05-21-2022 07:06 AM

The go dies have the blades inserted in wood. My husband took one apart (it became loose from the bottom). The Go dies are not that well put together for the price. I would expect more then a squiggle of glue to hold it all in place. That said I do like my dies and machine and glad I have them because I seriously doubt I will pay more for them.

DrosieD 05-21-2022 06:35 PM

AccuQuilt prices is one reason I quit buying. Why did they need 4" cube, now 5". Not to mention all the ridiculous dies they keep releasing for a limited time. Get them before they're gone. How many of you fell for the flamingo and gnomes. Not me. Someone else can buy them I'm done due to price as well as their greed.

I never heard of the wood coming from Russia. I'm sure they can come up with something else. Wood prices in US are coming down folks.

Onebyone 05-21-2022 07:52 PM

If customers want to make a gnome or flamingo quilt then they will buy the die. There is no falling for the hype, either customers want it or don't want it. Many think I am foolish because if a pattern calls for a 3 inch square I will buy a 3 in die or ruler. I won't use a 3 1/2" or 4 inch unless I have to. That how I do. I might need a 5" cube in the future or maybe not but I'm glad it's there for me to decide.

sewingsuz 05-21-2022 11:36 PM

I have Many dies I have not used yet so I am all set for a long time.

sewingpup 05-22-2022 04:56 AM

I usually think how often I will use a particular die before buying so have passed on a lot of them. I really like using the dies that make many of the same shape instead of using the cubes. That is just me. I don't think there is a wrong way to buy the dies. I do have a small house, so really don't want too many dies as I have to find storage space. Most of what I have are basics, like the strip cutters, triangles, squares. I do have a few specialty ones like the log cabin die and circles and one flower die.

SuzSLO 05-22-2022 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz (Post 8552759)
I have Many dies I have not used yet so I am all set for a long time.

Like you, I have a bunch I haven’t used yet. Many I bought when they were on clearance at the end of last year (before they started cancelling my orders because an item was out of stock).

But I don’t understand the complaints about having too many dies available for purchase. If you need to cut a particular size trapezoid unit and find that Accuquilt helps you cut more precisely, wouldn’t you be upset if they don’t make the size die you need?

I’ll say, however, that I only do turned edge appliqué, so have never really be tempted to buy the limited time appliqué dies or any other appliqué dies (okay, maybe I would buy a circle die if I ever find myself needing to make a 1000 or so grapes for a quilt). Also, I’m perfectly fine cutting squares and strips with my rotary cutter. But for triangles, trapezoids, parallelograms, square in a square, rectangle in a square and kites, I find my work is improved by using Accuquilt.