Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt or sizzix? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-sizzix-t256336.html)

Marti1943 11-04-2014 12:54 PM

Accuquilt or sizzix?

My husband is going to by me a accuquilt or sizzix for Christmas. I have never used either. What recommendations do you have?

ManiacQuilter2 11-04-2014 01:46 PM

I don't have one either but you might want to check what previous posts have been written. I find things easily when I use the ADVANCE SEARCH.

gale 11-04-2014 02:22 PM

I had the original Go but didn't like the limitations (can only use go dies, which will never be bigger than 10" for the die itself) so I sold it and got the big shot pro (sizzix). I love the BSP but it is huge, expensive, heavy, and is not portable. But it can cut almost any die on the market. So it depends on your needs. Also, the BSP is much easier for me to crank but some have said they have improved the cranking on the Go.

There's also the accuquilt Studio cutter which can cut every die on the market, I think. It is also huge and expensive though but very versatile and heavy duty.

cannyquilter 11-04-2014 02:24 PM

I have the Sizzix big shot and it is really easy to use and saves so much time when cutting. I bought it originally to cut all my scraps but haven't actually done that yet.

CarolinePaj 11-04-2014 02:28 PM

I have both the Go and the Big Shot Pro and love both for different reasons.... but if you are getting just one I would go for the Big Shot Pro because you can use almost any die on the market.

Hugs

Caroline

Prism99 11-04-2014 03:05 PM

Be aware that the Accuquilt Go! (which is their portable die cutter) is now available in an electric version so you don't need to hand crank. Both of these versions are lightweight and compact so they are easy to store.

The Accuquilt Studio is wonderful if you have a dedicated space where you can leave it set up. This is the one that quilt shops buy to crank out kits because you can cut so many more layers of fabric at one time (and easier to crank for the same number of layers on a Go!).

All I know about the Sizzix is what I have read here. You can use dies from a variety of companies in it, but will need to be willing to add shims when necessary.

Onebyone 11-04-2014 06:47 PM

I have the Go and had the Big Shot Pro. I can't tell much difference. No matter which die cut machine you buy you will have to buy dies and mats for it. Compared to the cost of my sewing machine the die machines and dies are a drop in the bucket.

quiltingcandy 11-04-2014 11:05 PM

I have the GO and like it very much. It is portable and I have about 15 dies. You might want to check on-line and see which one has the dies you would use most and the type of space you have available. For me it was the GO, I don't do scrapbooking and no need to cut paper.

gale 11-04-2014 11:07 PM

Not sure what paper has to do with it. Both die cutters will cut both fabric and paper and both can cut plenty of quilting shapes. Sizzix does offer a lot of paper dies (because that's what they started with) but they also have lots of quilting dies and their machine can cut Go dies as well as sizzix.

alleyoop1 11-05-2014 06:12 AM

I recently bought a used Sizzix that came with lots of plates but no dies. Can't seem to find any at my local Michael's or A.C. Moore. Need to take a trip to Hobby Lobby and look. Want to get a circle die for my new hobby - wool felt which I am using to make candle mats. So many things to make, so little time to get them all done!