Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   AccuQuilt Studio Fabric Cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-studio-fabric-cutter-t51210.html)

Favorite Fabrics 06-24-2010 06:10 PM

Has anyone bought - or even just tried out - the Studio AccuQuilt fabric cutter?

Just wondering how well they work... how many layers of fabric you can *really* cut through with good results, and how much cutting you can do before you have to replace something.

Prism99 06-24-2010 06:13 PM

There's a group at http://groups.yahoo.com called accucutquilters that has a lot of members with the Studio. You might want to join that group.

I have a Go! and routinely cut 4 layers at a time. The Studio is supposed to be able to cut up to 10 layers at a time, but I'm not sure how many users actually do that.

My Go! was too stiff to crank at first for 4 layers, but it loosened up with use.

Favorite Fabrics 06-24-2010 06:15 PM

I've read that with the GO you can cut up to 6 layers. Did you choose to limit yourself to 4 layers at a time for a particular reason? Would you still get as-good results with 6 layers?

Prism99 06-24-2010 06:33 PM

It would be tough for me to cut 6 layers at a time -- too hard to crank the fabric through the machine. From posts I have read, most people with the Go! limit themselves to 4 layers for most of the dies. The rag die has so many edges it is harder to crank through, so most people do just 1 or 2 layers for that die.

The Studio is very different -- much sturdier than the Go!

grammo013 06-24-2010 08:04 PM

I have the studio. And love it. I have cut thousands of strips for the church to use in their charity quilts. I have to replace my first mat this week. It finally cracked. It is so lined with cuts it should have happened before now lol.

I can cut about 7 layers, but Pete can cut 10 because he has more strength to turn the handle. We cut out 800 12x12 squares in about 40 min. I cut fabric into 14 by 14 strips and he ran thru as I had it ready. for my 2 1/2" strips I cut the fabric into 14xwidth of fabric.

Studio very sturdy and guaranteed for life.

Gramof6 06-24-2010 08:32 PM

I have the Studio & just love it. Comfortably I cut 6 layers but have cut 8. I've had mine for almost 3 yrs & have never replaced a thing. I cut for my Mom & I.

mlaceruby 06-27-2010 03:26 PM

I have the studio and love it!
can cut 10-12 layers depending on the die used
I cut ALOT! so I have had to replace the cutting mats but
they are just pieces of plexi glass I have them cut at lowes or home depot for a much lower price as accuquilt and with no shipping
they are great for triangle and appliques
I use this daily!

BellaBoo 06-27-2010 03:37 PM

I didn't get the Studio because of the size of it. This is the one quilt shops use because it is heavy duty, worth every cent too. I got to see a huge hydrolic type die cut machine at a sewing factory. Layers of fabric were cut into dress pieces in a second. Thousands of different clothes patterns were cut in a few hours. I was fascinated with it and that was years ago. I always thought it would be great to have a machine that did quilt pieces. Now we have one!

akrogirl 06-27-2010 03:59 PM

The size was one of the things that put me off the Studio for now. If I ever get a bigger sewing room, I would love to upgrade at some point - I've just got to convince DH to convert the garage for me :lol:

dmyers 09-30-2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
I have the studio and love it!
can cut 10-12 layers depending on the die used
I cut ALOT! so I have had to replace the cutting mats but
they are just pieces of plexi glass I have them cut at lowes or home depot for a much lower price as accuquilt and with no shipping
they are great for triangle and appliques
I use this daily!

thanks for the tip, i'm going to go to my lowes/home depot tomorrow for new mats. i was putting it off since the shipping would be just as much as a new mat. do they round the corners for you too?