Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   AccuQuilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-t313409.html)

DeborahC65 12-09-2020 04:20 AM

AccuQuilt

Anyone have one of these? How do you like it? Yesterday they had an online presentation, virtual, but it didn't go well. They did follow up and send the hour presentation to those who had registered for the free demo session the next day. It cut off, and apparently they picked up on Facebook (which I don't have) and youtube. Didn't send a link to Facebook or Youtube so I missed the live and opportunity to ask questions. Notification to go to these two social medias was 30 minutes later. Maybe they will have luck next time.

I have questions which I know users would answer honestly. How long do these "die cuts" stay sharp? Can they be sharped? Or does one have to purchase new ones? How long does the cutting matt that covers the dies as they are run through the machine last? If they crack or break, is replacement covered free or does one have to buy a new one? What is the learning curve? Was it very easy to use out of the box?

I have read a lot of reviews and its setting off warning bells. Matts cracking or shattering after very little use. Dies not cutting as stated. The auto feed version, messing up after short use. The manual, or hand crank version hard to crank or those with arthritic wrists or hands having issues.

I open some of you have used this, or are using it now and have good results that you share. Not all negative reviews online are true per-say, could be a lot of operator error. Guess I am trying to research and find out all I can from real users to make a decision to purchase this or not. Great concept, but is this too early to buy one and should wait another year or so?

Thanks for your input, experience and by the way, is the rotary cutter still the best option? Seems to me it is with better ways to speed cut and piece together than the machine.

BonnieJP 12-09-2020 04:59 AM

I have a Sizzix Big Shot Plus die cutter that I absolutely love. I can use the AccuQuilt dies or Siizzix dies in my Sizzix. Both the initial Sizzix "machine" and dies are MUCH less expensive than the AccuQuilt versions, but work exactly the same way. (For example, a die to cut 2-1/2" strips is $40 for Sizzix compared to $80.45 for an Accuquilt die the last time I checked on Amazon.)
The dies do dull after 100's of cuts. I haven't tried to sharpen mine yet. As for the clear cutting pads/mats, I have never had a problem with one breaking or cracking and I've used them a LOT. I saw a YouTube video where someone substituted a regular cutting mat for the clear Sizzix mat/pad. I ordered a large self healing cutting mat from an online art supply source for $30 and my husband cut it into 4 mats sized for the Sizzix. They work just like the Sizzix mats, but are a lot cheaper. I really like my Sizzix Big Shot Plus - it saves me lots of time and the cuts are always perfect.

DeborahC65 12-09-2020 05:06 AM

Thanks Bonnie. I will check that out for sure!!

Rhonda K 12-09-2020 05:17 AM

I never rotary cut when I can roll a die through the baby machine or use the electric one. They are both out on the work table for quick and easy cutting of projects.

You can do a search for previous posts on the systems. Multiple threads and posts will come up here on the boards with lots of great information that will answer many of your questions. You will find that many members do have positive reviews for the AQ.

Mats are a wearable item and need to be replaced just like rotary blades and needles The mats should be shifted when placing on the die to avoid repeat cut lines. I've never seen or heard of one that cracks or breaks. I keep some new ones in the bin. However, I still have original mats from my purchases in 2015 that I use.

Good luck with your decision.

Onebyone 12-09-2020 06:16 AM

The die cut machines for fabric have been around for years. People bought them for paper and discovered fabric cut just fine too. Accuquilt has the most dies made for quilting. I've had mine since 2006. I 've never had a die shatter, never heard anyone have that problem, my first dies are still as sharp as my last new one. I have the Accuquilt Go and Go Me and the Go Big. Most of my my guild members have one. Many have the electric one. I have about 100 dies collected over the years.The mats will get enough cuts to crack after being used over and over. The larger size is the Studio which takes different dies then the Go. The studio cuts more layers at one time. I would not hesitate to buy another if mine broke. I use it for 95% of my fabric cutting. Those that have a lot of fabric waste never learned to use it properly or watched a fast demo where fabric waste was not considered.

SusieQOH 12-09-2020 07:03 AM

I have a Go and a Go Me (I think that's the name of it- the small one). I love them. The mats eventually wear out but they aren't expensive. I haven't had dies get dull yet. They're quite sturdy.
One thing I don't like are those classes you mentioned. Talk about boring! I couldn't finish it. It seemed like they just rambled on and on.
I think Accuquilt is really pricey though. But I love the precision it affords.

dunster 12-09-2020 08:16 AM

I have the Studio 2 and all the strip dies for it. I don't really want the other dies because they don't fit in with the way I make quilts. I don't have a problem cranking it, but I think it would be hard for someone with hand or shoulder problems. I just bought a new plastic because the old one is very scratched, but it still works. As far as I can tell, the dies are as sharp as ever. The Studio 2 is very heavy, so I keep it set up on one end of my cutting table. The big strip dies are also heavy and take some space to store, so that's another thing to consider. I am glad I purchased my AccuQuilt, and I use it quite a bit.

mmunchkins 12-09-2020 08:26 AM

I have the Accuquilt GoBig. I love mine. I have used the dies for cutting thousands of covid 19 masks and it saved my cutting hand. I never could have cut that many by hand! You do need to replace the cutting mats after they wear out, but the dies seem to last forever. You may want to consider the Studio 2 by Accuquilt, if you have no health issues. It is hand crank, supposed to be easier to crank than the Accuquilt Go. Plus the dies go on sale for the Studio more often than the regular Go dies. You can cut up to 10 layers of fabric at one swipe with the Studio, as opposed to up to 6 layers of fabric with the Go. But it does require more space and is heavier.

sewingsuz 12-09-2020 09:25 AM

I have the Go big and love it. I did crack one of my mats for 2 1/2 inch strips. I put it in crooked and it cracked cause of the fit. I did not have a lot of dies but I am now getting a few. I got the electric die because my should was hurting and hands from cutting with rotary cutter. I still use cutter but not as much. The die I have are still sharp. You can spend a lot of money every time you order things.

CanoePam 12-09-2020 02:09 PM

I love, love, love my Accuquilt. It is so fast and accurate. Right now I am doing a quilt with equilateral triangles - yup, two bias edges. There are little notches cut on the sides to allow perfect matching. You still need to prep your fabric correctly, press it well, and use starch or sizing if you will have bias edges, but that is pretty much the same as regular cutting. You also need to position the fabric so it cuts with the lengthwise grain. Right now they are having very good sales, but I doubt they will continue past Christmas. Oh, and the Accuquilt videos all end up on YouTube in addition to Facebook. As to your other questions, the die boards last pretty much forever, but the mats used with them only last for a few hundred cuts. Buy spares when they have a good sale. You have to match the die board to a mat size, so you will,end up with a big assortment.