Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt - Worth It? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-worth-t184157.html)

Krystyna 03-27-2012 01:05 PM

Accuquilt - Worth It?

I have an anniversary, birthday and mother's day coming up soon ... and rather than get gifts that I don't really want or need, I figured I'd tell my husband and son to chip in for an accuquilt. But ... is it worth it?

MissSandra 03-27-2012 01:12 PM

i think you will find a lot of mixed reviews i gave mine away

DebraK 03-27-2012 01:19 PM

I gave mine away as well.

masimmons 03-27-2012 01:46 PM

I really like mine, but it does have its limitations. My father helped me get mine to assist with the cutting of quilts. I have medical issues that makes using a rotary cutter for any length of time (more than one swipe) painful. With the accuquilt, I don't have as much pain, and I can con my kids into helping once the fabric is placed.

PaperPrincess 03-27-2012 01:47 PM

I use mine all the time. I don't have any of the applique' shapes, just the geometric ones, strips, triangles, squares etc. that I can use for many different quilt block patterns. For me, the accent is on accuracy, not speed. I don't cut more layers with my machine than I would attempt to cut with a hand rotary cutter (no more than 4). I love that my piecing is so easy because everything fits (I am careful with my 1/4" seams). many of the geometric dies have engineered corners, which aid in lining the pieces up. I've read that some people think it wastes fabric, but I don't see any more waste than when you square your fabric up when hand cutting. I don't think I cut any faster, just more accurately.

sewmary 03-27-2012 01:47 PM

My opinion only: I tried one and think the unit itself is overpriced for what it is. And then there are the mats and dies which have to be purchased. Would rather buy fabric.

BellaBoo 03-27-2012 01:48 PM

I have the Go and Go Baby. I use mine more then my rotary cutter! I can have a queen size quilt cut in minutes. My quilt pieces fit together perfectly. I had a learning curve at first and thought I'd never use it much but when the concept kicked in I was off and running. I can make many designs from one die just by placing the fabric half way on the die in different ways. I have most all the Go dies and haven't a pieced pattern I can't adapt and cut with the Go. I would buy it again in a second. I had the Alto Quilt Cut 2 before the Accuquilt. Now I use the Alto for cutting fabric to fit the Go. I don't think of a tool in terms of what it cost. I think of what value does it give me in relation to the cost. The value of time saved and perfectly cut fabric pieces makes the price secondary to me.

carolaug 03-27-2012 01:49 PM

I really like it, for the tumbler, strips, circles, and a few others, but for the squares they do not square up as well as doing it by the rotary cutter.

romanojg 03-27-2012 01:52 PM

I love mine as well. I have everything from applique dies to strips and my favorite the rag quilt die; what a time saver that one is. I had a few problems when first cutting with the rag die and emailed the company and they emailed me back the same day and helped me. Their customer service is great and they stand behind what they sell.

BellaBoo 03-27-2012 01:53 PM

If found that using the strip dies to get square cuts works better then the actual square dies and triple the amount in one cut.