Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt...is it worth it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-worth-t194278.html)

Peckish 07-11-2012 03:37 PM

I have the Go! Baby and have used it way more than I ever thought I would.

I highly recommend you join the Yahoo group Pinsandneedles1. The owner of the group sells Accuquilt, Sizzix, and Slice products at the best prices I have found ANYWHERE, including coupons. The group is a great resource if you're trying to make a choice between systems.

BellaBoo 07-11-2012 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by MadamPolo (Post 5356259)
No, it is not worth it unless you want to cut out unusual shapes such as curves and appliqués, then yes. A June Tailor laser cut Pro Shape Cut Ruler and her Half/Quarter Square up ruler is all you need to cut strips, blocks, half and quarter squares. Your cutter fits into the slots, and zip, zip, zip everything is cut out very, very accurately. You can use it sitting down, too. You will need to decide.

Do you have a die cut machine or used one? The June Tailor is okay but can't compare to a die cut machine. I have the largest shape cut, it's still a ruler so I get miss cuts using it and achy hands. I also have the Alto Quilt Cut 2 system but that also uses a ruler and cutter.

Rhonda Lee 07-11-2012 07:45 PM

I recently bought an Accuquilt Go and several dies. I really have enjoyed my new cutting tool. I find it very easy to use. My problem is ... I want more dies now. It seems the 'want' of something is always there. lol. And I still cut with my cutter, just not quite as much. If you are a strip, square or triangle person, the Accuquilt is a fun way to cut. I don't have any of the dies that would be appliques....yet.

sewbeadit 07-11-2012 11:03 PM

I have the Studio and love it. It saves my hands and back a lot to where I can even sew after cutting something out. Before with rotary cutting I would have to cut what I could and then do something else after because my hands and back hurt so badly. Now I can cut and sew in the same day, amazing. Yes it costs a lot to get going. Start with a couple of dies you know you can use a lot and then keep adding to the pile.

Auntie Sherry 07-12-2012 01:19 AM

6 of one half a dozen of the other

I have a big shot and use quilt shape dies from several companies. My only problem is I wish I had more width-now I can only go as wide as about 6 1/8". I want something wider and have looked at the accuquilt machine and even the big shot pro (and too many others to even list)....I only paid 59.99 (on sale, I did later buy longer pads for longer dies so that was an additional expense. I still need to get another pad set which is even longer) for my big shot, to gain another 6 inches in width will be a minimum 5 times what I originally paid..oh my!

I lean away from the accuquilt machine only because it can be a problem using other companies dies-it voids the warranty. I like being able to use any dies I want to. The sizzix site shows quite a few quilting dies that will work in the big shot, then again it has quite a few that won't-there again need the bigger machine

If anyone has any ideas or even more info on the accuquilt machine-I'd love the info, too. I'm gonna take my time figuring out what I plan on getting next.

With the bigger machine I also want to be able to use the dies I have already purchased from other companies.

Ginaky 07-12-2012 05:12 PM

The Sizzix Big Shot Pro has a 13 inch opening, so it will take large dies. It will also use the dies from other manufacturers. I use my Accuquilt dies in it just by using a shim under them to raise them high enough. The Accucut Studio dies work just as they are without a shim. It is a good bit larger than the Big Shot.

tsnana2000 07-12-2012 06:04 PM

I had one and I didn't like it. The June Tailor Shape Cut Plus works way better for me and way faster. Like someone else said - zip, zip, zip and your done.

serenitybygrace 07-12-2012 07:30 PM

I really wanted an Accuquilt cutter of some kind. I just couldn't pay the prices I saw on the Accuquilt website. I happened to find qa GO at a yard sale for $75. It was new. I also purchased a 2" stripcutter there. I was absolutely doing the happy dance for several days after that. I have gotten dies on sale at various locations since then and have used my GO quite a bit. I have especially enjoyed having it for cutting 6 1/2" blocks for swaps. I have also used my 2 1/2" strip cutter. Recently I found an 8 1/2" die for $25. If I want another die, or think I need another one, I watch for sales. When I see a good one, I buy it.
There is a learning curve on the GO also. I have learned that I need to starch and iron my fabric before cutting to get the best cuts. I also cut only 3-4 layers of fabric at a time so that it isn't so hard to turn the handle. I have noticed, also, that it is easier to cut some striped fabric and to fancy cut on the June Taylor Shape cut or an appropriately sized ruler.
Needless to say, I love having the GO.

pippi65 07-12-2012 07:41 PM

Do you find that using these machines waste a lot more fabric? I know nothing at all about any of these machines. That crossed my mind though. Thanks.

linynp 07-13-2012 02:47 AM

Just an FYI at the accuquilt retreat a few weeks ago they eluded to an electric one coming out for the people who have issues manually rolling for the cutter.