Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accurate Cutting? Need some help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accurate-cutting-need-some-help-t180312.html)

donna13350 02-24-2012 01:58 PM

The one single thing that I did that improve the accuracy of my cutting by leaps and bounds was to take thin strips of shelf gripper and glue it to the bottom of my rulers! Nothing moves, slips, or slides..it works better than you could ever imagine! Just be sure to glue them strategically so that you don't obscure all of the lines that you will need ..that's why I glued small strips instead of a larger piece. Worked so well that I put it on all of rulers!

kathyd 02-24-2012 06:23 PM

I too have enjoyed this thread. Just last night DH and I were discussing and looking at those plastic tables for me to use for cutting. We also talked about using a wood cutting table. I guess DH was right and wood it is. Thanks for all the info.
Kathyd

kitsykeel 02-24-2012 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hockeyrabbit (Post 4999114)
Ok, so maybe I should look into finding a solid wooden table to cut on? That might make a difference and then go from there. My mat is pretty new and has a lot of life left in it.

Hi Hockeyrabbit: If you do go with a wooden table, don't make the mistake my husband made. He found a wonderful dining room table at Goodwill for $60.00 for me. It has three leaves, and the ends fold down. A beautiful old table with fluted and turned legs. PROBLEM: It sags where the leaves join and does not work well for cutting. Therefore I have to make sure I am cutting on one end or the other rather in the middle area.

SnowQuilt 02-24-2012 09:26 PM

I use the island in my kitchen, it is the right height for it. I have a cutting table I got at a yard sale that works great too the only problem I have is no room in my family room where I do my sewing. :)

annies-best 02-24-2012 10:34 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice i didn't know about the finger point that might help me

lovequilts722 02-24-2012 11:27 PM

I didn't ask the original question, but I'm so glad it was asked and I really appreciate all the answers everyone has given! I've learned a lot! :) Thank you!

Candace

Geri B 02-25-2012 09:06 AM

I have a plastic table, but I have a piece of thin plywood on the area that I use for cutting because of that slight bowing of the plastic......I have a large cutting mat on top of that plywood so that is my cutting area. I also raised the table height (I am tall) to about the height of my kitchen counters....I did that with a piece of pvc pipe that the legs sit in, but not thru.........DH did this so I don't know how, but if I had to I probably would have figured it out......
Make sure your rulers, templates do not shimmy while you are cutting. I use small circles of sandpaper with a stickly back.....also invested in a GO die cutter...talk about accuracy...wow.....and speed.......and be patient with yourself. Cutting an oops will happen even if you have been doing it for a long time!!!!

clem55 02-25-2012 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 4999250)
If your rulers don't have a non-slip surface on them, glue a few thin strips of fine sandpaper to the side that goes against your fabric. Always put your rulers straight up and down on your fabric, never slide them across the fabric. The suction cup handles made for seniors to help them in and out of the bath make great holders for your rulers. They are sold in the notions sections, but cost less when sold as aids for seniors on Ebay.

You can buy these even cheaper at HArbor Frieght!!

bearisgray 02-25-2012 11:50 AM

If you have used your ruler a lot - it can and does get worn down a bit - it may be time to replace it.

minky 02-25-2012 04:09 PM

I not only, line up the inch line but the hash marks between them. My hash marks are 1/8 inch ones. I make
sure they 'look' straight at the top of the ruler and the bottom. This has made my cutting mush more accurate.