Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accurate cutting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accurate-cutting-t264610.html)

milly35 04-28-2015 05:50 PM

Accurate cutting

I was doing some piecing tonight and realizing how inaccurate my cutting is - ugh.
Any tips for cutting accuracy?

Prism99 04-28-2015 05:56 PM

Use a cutting ruler that has fine lines -- much more accurate for me than thick lines.

Lori S 04-28-2015 07:32 PM

I found I get the most accurate cutting when I starch my fabrics prior to cutting. It helps them to lay flat and not move as much when cutting. Give it a try on a piece ... it washes out so its not a permanent treatment. I was amazed how much my cutting improved when I starched prior to cutting.

bearisgray 04-28-2015 07:47 PM

Use a ruler with thin lines.

Place the ruler consistenyly As you go.

quiltingcandy 04-28-2015 08:07 PM

What makes you think your cutting isn't accurate? What is wrong? Too large? Too small? Not even? Can you post picture to show us?
I agree, starching does make the fabric behave better.

katier825 04-29-2015 01:26 AM

Is your ruler slipping? If so, you need to apply something to it. There are several things, such as sandpaper dots, clear dots specifically for preventing slipping, Omnigrid Invisigrip (clear film), and even clear nail polish, but I haven't tried that one myself. Personally I like the Omnigrid Invisigrip. I have many rulers and used it on nearly all of them from just one roll. I even cut thin strips and put it on the back of my June Tailor Shape Cut ruler.

JustAbitCrazy 04-29-2015 02:28 AM

Buy a Quilter's Slidelock ruler and Sally Collins book on Precision Machine Piecing. In it she recommends keeping the thin black line on the Omnigrid/Omnigrip rulers ontop of the fabric prior to cutting, because then it gives you the space needed for the thread and turning thickness, and you don't need to try to sew a scant quarter inch seam. She also recommends starching, which has already been mentioned.

Hcim55 04-29-2015 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 7180496)
Buy a Quilter's Slidelock ruler and Sally Collins book on Precision Machine Piecing. In it she recommends keeping the thin black line on the Omnigrid/Omnigrip rulers ontop of the fabric prior to cutting, because then it gives you the space needed for the thread and turning thickness, and you don't need to try to sew a scant quarter inch seam. She also recommends starching, which has already been mentioned.

Great recommendation.....I did this and my quilting improved immensly!!!!!

kathy 04-29-2015 03:13 AM

along with the other tips, take your time, don't try to cut past your hand, stop and move your hand before you go up any more

ManiacQuilter2 04-29-2015 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 7180496)
Sally Collins book on Precision Machine Piecing. In it she recommends keeping the thin black line on the Omnigrid/Omnigrip rulers on top of the fabric prior to cutting, because then it gives you the space needed for the thread and turning thickness, and you don't need to try to sew a scant quarter inch seam. She also recommends starching, which has already been mentioned.

This is what a friend of mine told me to do. Sort of complicated in writing, so much easier to show in person.