Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Acrylic extension table vs sewing table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/acrylic-extension-table-vs-sewing-table-t265035.html)

Skhf 05-10-2015 05:28 AM

Acrylic extension table vs sewing table

I have a large acrylic extension table for my Viking Opal but i am thinking about buying a sewing table to replace it. Leash Day has a Mother's Day special on a table that comes with an acrylic insert so the machine is flush with the table. So my question to all you experienced quilters is, will it make a difference? I do get my quilts caught on the edge of the extension table but wonder if I would also get thm caught on the edge of the table itself. I do not do large quilts, only throws at this time. Thanks for your help

ManiacQuilter2 05-10-2015 05:46 AM

Not sure what your set up is or why your quilts are getting caught when quilting. I have my Bernina 1530 sitting inside the well of my old Singer sewing desk using an insert. It is a better height for me. There are articles on what height your DSM should be at with yourself for good posture.

nabobw 05-10-2015 05:49 AM

No they will not get caught when using a table with the insert.

Sally J 05-10-2015 06:06 AM

I have a large Horn table with inserts for all my machines. The table makes it so much easier, the quilt getting caught probably depends on the size of the table. With mine being big, the entire quilt is always on the top.

KLO 05-10-2015 06:07 AM

I find that I sew so much better when my machine is level with the table so I have my machine dropped in a desk so it is flush with the top of the desk. It really makes all the difference for me.

PaperPrincess 05-10-2015 06:12 AM

Yes, it will make a big difference. The ergonomic improvement is amazing. I had my machine on a dining table with a large acrylic extension table. I hadn't sewn on a machine in a fitted table in years but when i switched I was amazed at how much more comfortable it was. There is a lot less possibility of catching on the table.

elnan 05-10-2015 06:40 AM

I have seen those tables at quilting retreats, and the owner/users love them. I have had a portable acrylic extension table for my older pfaff for many years, and yes, often get anything larger than a placemat caught on the corners. One advantage of having a drop-in cutout and insert for the machine is that you are not reaching up so high to sew. Before settling on the Affordable Table, check the measurements and consider whether or not cutting a desk or table you already have and buying the acrylic insert would work better for you, certainly more economical. Those tables have been discussed on this and other forums, as have the alternatives. Having a dependable, portable table at that price may be preferable to cutting and fitting your own.

sophiebernina 05-10-2015 06:51 AM

I have one machine sat on a table with an extension and one machine dropped into a portable table (Sew-Ezi table). I much prefer to sew with the machine dropped into a table as I find it far more comfortable.

Rose Marie 05-10-2015 06:54 AM

My acrylic table sits in the closet. What a waste of money.
I now have a sewing table with my machine flush with the top. So much better.

lfletcher 05-10-2015 06:56 AM

I have both. I love my Horn table with the machine set flush that I leave setup at home, but when I go on retreats, the acrylic extension is very helpful.