Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Added tape measures to the longarm leaders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/added-tape-measures-longarm-leaders-t180116.html)

dunster 02-20-2012 06:56 PM

Added tape measures to the longarm leaders

3 Attachment(s)
I recently added tape measures to all 3 longarm leaders. I bought the 120" tapes at Walmart (each came with 2 marking pencils for less than $3). I pinned two leaders together, laid out the tapes, and then sewed each tape on with the longarm. I use Red Snappers for loading quilts, but I took them out while doing this. I also snipped off the metal end of each tape - didn't want to hit it with the longarm needle! This should make it a lot easier to load quilts.

QuiltnNan 02-20-2012 07:08 PM

looks great. my leaders only have the center marked, but it has worked for me that way for years :)

mighty 02-20-2012 07:14 PM

Great work!!!

JustAbitCrazy 02-20-2012 07:27 PM

Dunster, you'll love it. I did that recently with the longarm centering tapes. I didn't want upside down numbers on one side, lol! No more constant measuring! One thing surprised me, though. I found out that my original longarm centering tape (the one you suspend over the quilt) had stretched quite a bit through use. So I had to quit using it. I figure, what are the chances all the stretching was evenly distributed over the tape?? None, I'm sure.

CoyoteQuilts 02-21-2012 06:39 AM

Dunster, great idea! I do have a question though--what machine do you have and where did you get that hopping foot? I have a hopping foot, but it is not working right and am in the market for a new one and yours looks like it might just be what I am looking for...

dunster 02-21-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts (Post 4994372)
Dunster, great idea! I do have a question though--what machine do you have and where did you get that hopping foot? I have a hopping foot, but it is not working right and am in the market for a new one and yours looks like it might just be what I am looking for...

I have an Innova, and I bought the open toe hopping foot directly from them. I don't know if it would fit any other type of longarm. How can your hopping foot not be working right?

feline fanatic 02-21-2012 08:34 AM

Dunster, how do you like the micro handles?

dunster 02-21-2012 08:48 AM

I use them a lot. They give me much more control than the other handles do. Although - the other handles are adjustable, so I could probably put them into a position to give me the same control. Having the micro handles means I can use either one without adjusting anything.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 4994820)
Dunster, how do you like the micro handles?

paines 07-08-2019 08:36 PM

:)Thank you for the close ups - I’ve been thinking about doing this.

jmoore 07-09-2019 02:50 AM

It looks like a great idea...As a am a new longarm owner, I’m curious to learn if your leaders ever move over time or get caddy whom-pas?