Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Adding an applique extra strip--opinions welcomed! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/adding-applique-extra-strip-opinions-welcomed-t240392.html)

sandrab64 02-04-2014 07:27 PM

Adding an applique extra strip--opinions welcomed!

1 Attachment(s)
Hello~ I am in need of opinions and suggestions! Wondering if I'm way off base here or what. I am making the MSQC Alter Ego quilt and would like to add some floral applique in it just to give it a little something special. As you can see, the blocks are done but nothing is put together yet. I was thinking of putting a cream strip (with black sashing) off to the side of center and then applique flowers down the strip (with green rick rack perhaps?). The first outside border would also be black and the 2nd outer border is the purple/black flowers. Other ideas I had were to take 4 or 6 (8.5 inch) blocks out completely and adding a large appliqued cream block off-center, etc. Does the cream strip break it up too much (remember I'll applique in the strip) or should I leave it out altogether? I don't want to do just a plain top. Any help would be really appreciated since I want to think outside the box a little bit!

giquilt 02-04-2014 07:39 PM

Maybe blue posies on one long 3/8" inch bias green stem. Use some of the blues in the quilt for the flowers. The green stem could be in the same color green as in the quilt.

Scissor Queen 02-04-2014 07:48 PM

I do the applique and then decide on the outer borders. You may want to do some appliqued outer borders too. You might also try one of the other lighter colors for the background of the applique.

dunster 02-04-2014 07:48 PM

I think it's a super idea, will not break the quilt up but will make it much more interesting.

QuiltnNan 02-04-2014 08:02 PM

i think that would look great

tapper 02-05-2014 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 6555624)
You might also try one of the other lighter colors for the background of the applique.

That's also what I think.

Maureen NJ 02-05-2014 03:58 AM

I think your idea is great. Just wondering. Is it a wall hanging or bed quilt? Are you doing appliqué on two pieces or just the one side?

Painiacs 02-05-2014 04:10 AM

I like it!!!!!!!

sandrab64 02-05-2014 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ (Post 6555904)
I think your idea is great. Just wondering. Is it a wall hanging or bed quilt? Are you doing appliqué on two pieces or just the one side?

this is just a lap quilt and the strip would just be on one side off center. Wanted to add something of interest.

Billi 02-05-2014 04:44 AM

I think your idea will add great interest to your quilt, looking at the cream strip it seems too stark but once you get the appliqué on it will tone it down considerably, and your very thin black borders frame it quite nicely. I think meandering off the edge and on to your blocks a little will be nice too.

I look forword to seeing it when it's done