Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Adding beads to a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/adding-beads-quilt-t1931.html)

NewsletterBot 08-19-2007 12:41 PM

I want to add beads to a quilt. Can anyone please tell me whether i should add the beads before I do the quilting or after the backing is on?

Thanks, Becky

Leslee 08-19-2007 01:45 PM

Depends on how you're going to quilt it, and the size of the beads I would guess! If it's a machine quilting job, I'd finish the quilting and then do all the beading. Rather not take a chance on snagging a bead, or breaking either a bead or the machine needle. On my hand quilting projects I've added beadwork before the backing/batting/basting and then gone right ahead with the hand quilting. I've only used small beads, tho. That was no problem with either the quilt frame or hoop.

Rebecca Chambley 08-19-2007 03:17 PM

Becky
I to have used beads alot in my quilts, and I always add my beads before the backing is put on, I machine quilt around them.

jojo 11-17-2007 12:10 PM

I put my beads on while making each block, because each block was different and I wanted to work with the ideas I had while they were fresh. I hand quilted after completing the top. jo

Moonpi 11-17-2007 12:30 PM

If you can machine quilt around the beaded area, I'd do it first. Otherwise, I'd leave it til last. A lot of times, the decision depends on the pattern and what look I'm after.

Shadow Dancer 11-17-2007 12:36 PM

I have a Christmas quilt that I am putting beads on the trees as decorations. I did the hand quilting first and now I'm putting the beads on it.

stitchinMamaw 11-17-2007 12:44 PM

I agree with Shadowdancer . The wallhangings I put beads on , I did after handquilting the piece. I figured the beads would get in the way of quilting. Just try and see what works for you , that's what I did . :lol:

Happy quilting to all

Annie

Chele 11-17-2007 02:17 PM

Beads on quilts? You guys are so talented! You all amaze me. I want to see pictures!

stitchinMamaw 11-28-2007 10:17 AM

Chele ,
Hi it's Annie . It isn't hard to add beads on a quilt . I thought it was really easy , but time consuming . I even use buttons at times .

I bought a pair of preprinted buck head pillow top panels at Walmart. I hand quilted around everything giving detail . Then I did cross hatching in the border and where the space was between I put maple leaf buttons . This was a gift for my brother , since he is a deer hunter.

Give it a try sometime it's fun to add things to your quilts !

Annie

stitchinMamaw 11-28-2007 10:22 AM

Chele ,
Hi it's Annie . It isn't hard to add beads on a quilt . I thought it was really easy , but time consuming . I even use buttons at times .

I bought a pair of preprinted buck head pillow top panels at Walmart. I hand quilted around everything giving detail . Then I did cross hatching in the border and where the space was between I put maple leaf buttons . I made these into matching wall hangings . I don't have any pictures .

Give it a try sometime , it's fun adding things to your quilts !

Annie