Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Adding Embellishments To Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/adding-embellishments-quilts-t61647.html)

Damkina 08-27-2010 08:53 AM

I've just begun sewing the first block on a new applique quilt and will eventually be wanting to add emblishments... fancy buttons and beads etc to it.

What is recommeded? Do I sew them on now whilst I'm doing the blocks, just before quilting or once the quilt is all finished to see where they would look best?

I'm adding top embroidery to it too, and don't want it to look... 'over-done'.

Thank you
Joanne

dungeonquilter 08-27-2010 09:05 AM

It can be easier to quilt without the embelishments on.

amma 08-27-2010 09:12 AM

I would add them on after the quilt is completely finished... that way the embellishments don't get in the way while constructing, quilting or binding the quilt.

np3 08-27-2010 09:14 AM

I always add them at the end.

Damkina 08-27-2010 09:17 AM

Thank you.

It's the first time I'll be adding them to a quilt, and although I suspecting putting them on afterwards, I wasn't quite sure and thought I'd ask before making a mistake. :-)

Joanne

mstandridge 08-27-2010 09:20 AM

I put the embelishments on before quilting, than the stitches for attaching are hidden between the top and batting. just be sure to watch closely while quilting to avoid hitting a button or stitching down something you wanted to appear in 3D. Just finished a 48" wall hanging that is peiced, appliqued and embellished for a quilt show themed quilt entry. will post a picture after the show the end of september. hope to place, put alot of work into it.

but if doing hot fix type crystals - after.

Damkina 08-27-2010 09:45 AM

Ooh! :lol: Now you've sent me into a tizzy!

I'm sewing them on... it feels more secure doing it that way.

I'll be using arranged amber tube beads to make my corn stalks "Crop Circle" to stand out better in 3D, although I haven't found anything like crystal stars small enough for my Orion Star Constellation.

Best of luck with your Quilt.

littlehud 08-29-2010 07:24 AM

I would add the buttons and beads after quilting. I just know I would hit one if I put them on before.

Luv Quilts and Cats 08-29-2010 07:26 AM

I would add embellishments after the overall quilting is done. I won't be easy to quilt around them,

Damkina 09-21-2010 01:42 PM

Hi, I decided a few weeks ago to spend less time online and more time stitiching as I was hardly getting anything done :D

In that time I've almost finished my second applique block 'The Pyramids' and will soon be needing to decide about whether to print on cotton (inkjet) or paint several items to be stitched on. I'm going to be trying both methods to see which one I prefer before commiting it to my quilt. But I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to fabric paint a man's face and hair... so that he actually looks like a man and not a manga comic strip.

I have some basic drawing skills, but would be so greatful for some good instructions on the fabric painting or a book recommendation.

It really does make a lovely change actually sitting and chatting with the family in the living room doing applique, rather than being shut in another room with the sewing machine whiring away.
thanks so much
Joanne