Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   adding multiple borders question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/adding-multiple-borders-question-t184898.html)

Grace MooreLinker 04-05-2012 08:27 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me, I'll try it next quilt that I do. Thanks for the suggestion.

mdiane 04-05-2012 08:43 AM

I like to sew the borders together, then add them. I think it keeps the borders much straighter and flat. I also miter the corner. It makes finishing easier and looks lovely.

CorgiNole 04-05-2012 10:36 AM

If you are going to miter the corners, then go ahead and sew them together before adding them to the top. If you aren't mitering the corners, you may want to sew them on separately.

Cheers, K

gypsylady5 04-05-2012 02:56 PM

I do them one at a time so that the borders are a frame. If you do them as one unit, you will have strips at the top and bottom and not frames.

MacThayer 04-05-2012 03:08 PM

I think that whatever way works for you, and you're comfortable with, is the way you should do it. You guys had me so scared about "mitered corners" that I practiced on practice material several times before I did it on a real quilt. And, I might add, did them perfectly several times before I did them on a real quilt. Was still quaking when I did mitered corners on a real quilt. They still came out perfectly. That's not saying they're easy, but sometimes you scare us Newbies (to quilting) too much!

Putting two borders together before putting them on the quilt -- don't see the point -- not in my comfort zone. On the other hand, there is something to be said about getting outside one's comfort zone! Hmmmm. . .

Cheers!

carolynjo 04-05-2012 06:20 PM

I'd say sew the borders together first and treat them as 1 piece of fabric.

stampinteresa 04-05-2012 06:33 PM

Hhhhph. I never thought to sew them together first. I just figured like everything else one at a time. That was enough for me. Not brave enough to try sewing two together or mitering corners. It will come. hehe Teresa

caspharm 04-05-2012 06:41 PM

I agree with Scissor Queen, that sewing mitered corner borders together is fine. However, if they are regular borders, do it one at a time, because the outer border will secure the inner border with the alternating overlap edges.

chuckbere15 04-05-2012 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by sandrab64 (Post 5113006)
I have a large quilt top that I'm adding a 3" border to and then a 6" border. Do you add each border at a time to the large top or can you sew the 3" and 6" border together and then add that one 9" border to the large top?

You could do it that way if you are going to do mitered corners. Otherwise you should add the sides first then the top of each border first, in my opinion. One thing I have learned from several classes I took, the first border, if you are framing the center, should not be bigger than your sashing. Although, that is only a guideline and you should do what pleases you. I have seen it both ways and like them. This is just a rumor, but the quilting police ran out of money and are on strike.

penski 04-05-2012 08:41 PM

i just did this on a quilt i am working on , i sewed the boarders together first because i made a mitered corners and it was a lot easier to get the mitered corners even