Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Adding sparkle to a fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/adding-sparkle-fabric-t126878.html)

sonisew 05-30-2011 06:53 PM

Does anyone know if there is something that can be added to or place on a fabric to give it a sparkle? I know that there are fabrics out there that have sparkles in them but i have already started putting the quilt together and did not want to take it apart to use the other fabrics

Pam H 05-30-2011 07:18 PM

I know some people do fabric painting. Maybe there is some kind of paint with sparkle to it. Hopefully someone who knows of something will answer you.

mamaheath 05-30-2011 07:24 PM

i have seen glitter thread at a LQS

ncredbird 05-30-2011 08:12 PM

I use the Tulip fabric paint with the sparkles in it that comes in the plastic bottles with a tip. I squirt a small amount into a 2 ounce plastic cup like you get food samples in at Sam's or Costco and thin it with water until it is very thin and stir well with a paint brush. Then I take the brush and apply it where I want it and let it dry. Do a test on a scrap swatch first! It will add a little stiffness when dry but nothing I can't live with. There are clear varieties with sparkle or color with sparkle. Ann in TN

jaciqltznok 05-30-2011 08:34 PM

what ever you ADD to the fabric, do NOT do it until after it is quilted....it will really make it hard to quilt through if you paint it now....

jaciqltznok 05-30-2011 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
I use the Tulip fabric paint with the sparkles in it that comes in the plastic bottles with a tip. I squirt a small amount into a 2 ounce plastic cup like you get food samples in at Sam's or Costco and thin it with water until it is very thin and stir well with a paint brush. Then I take the brush and apply it where I want it and let it dry. Do a test on a scrap swatch first! It will add a little stiffness when dry but nothing I can't live with. There are clear varieties with sparkle or color with sparkle. Ann in TN

if you use fabric medium instead of water it won't be so stiff when dry!

ncredbird 05-30-2011 08:43 PM

I neglected to add that I do it after the project is quilted.
Thanks for the fabric medium suggestion. I have never tried that so will have to pick some up next time I go.
Ann

jaciqltznok 05-30-2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
I neglected to add that I do it after the project is quilted.
Thanks for the fabric medium suggestion. I have never tried that so will have to pick some up next time I go.
Ann

you can still thin the medium with water, but it cuts the STIFF out...also makes it last longer, and is easier to do shading, etc...

Sadiemae 05-30-2011 09:23 PM

I used a glitter one time that was made to go on fabric, but I can't remember the name of it. You can probably google and find it.

connie_1936 05-30-2011 11:43 PM

darmah trading co. has all kinds of paints for fabrics