Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Adult Bibs Question Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/adult-bibs-question-please-t318157.html)

PumpkinSundae 05-07-2022 01:18 PM

Adult Bibs Question Please

Hi, I would like to make some adult bibs for a convent and a few of the patterns I came across say to use two cotton pieces, one for the top and one for the bottom. It doesn't seem enough and was wondering what you thought. I could use fusible fleece but that seemed a little thick and I would have to quilt them. I could do the two pieces of cotton if it seemed okay.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Gay 05-07-2022 02:39 PM

Making bibs from toweling hand towels or tea towels used to be popular here.

bearisgray 05-07-2022 02:42 PM

Maybe use flannel for one layer?

cashs_mom 05-07-2022 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8550730)
Maybe use flannel for one layer?

I agree. Flannel would work well. You could use it for one of the layers or as batting between the 2 layers.

sewingpup 05-07-2022 04:07 PM

and they will likely be washed in hot water so maybe prewash the material too in hot water.
Did you ask the convent if they had any requirements for the fabric?

cjsews 05-07-2022 06:02 PM

I just made one for my mother. Two layers of cotton was sufficient. Stitching 1/4” around the edges is enough to hold it together. I also folded the bottom up to make pockets.

thimblebug6000 05-07-2022 07:17 PM

I make mine with a towel and bind the edges. It is what our hospital uses, so I made a pattern off one by tracing the shape, and it works really well.

Stitchnripper 05-08-2022 03:32 AM

I used a pattern from Rob Appell Man Sewing and they are two layers of cotton. They have tiny plastic pellets in the shoulder flaps but pattern could be amended to make them pullover or tied or whatever the needs are. He calls them adult clothing protectors.

LAF2019 05-08-2022 04:00 AM

you could use a terry cloth kind of material on the back if you wanted something more without the extra weight or thickness.

Onebyone 05-08-2022 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 8550796)
I used a pattern from Rob Appell Man Sewing and they are two layers of cotton. They have tiny plastic pellets in the shoulder flaps but pattern could be amended to make them pullover or tied or whatever the needs are. He calls them adult clothing protectors.

This is what I use too. I made many for adults and kids. The pellets are washable and dryable. I used one pretty print and muslin for backing. They are great for the car. I make an extra long one for me. I'm always spilling something in the car on myself. I have used the thin vinyl felt backed tablecloths too as thin batting or for backing to make it leak proof . I bought a big bag of the pellets at Walmart. Walmart has big summer vinyl thin felt back tablecloths for $3 now. I buy several as I use them for a lot of sewing projects.