Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice about flying with sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-about-flying-sewing-machine-t176829.html)

MaryLane 01-24-2012 02:02 PM

Advice about flying with sewing machine?

Hi! Do any of you lovely ladies have any advice for me about traveling with my sewing machine? I have decided to take the singer 301 with me when I go to Texas in March for a retreat. I do NOT want to check it. It fits in my carry on just fine.

Do you have trouble getting through security? Did you need extra time? Will I need to remove it from the bag? Should I loosen the covers so that I can easily open it up for them to see inside of the machine?

I plan to put the needles, scissors and rotary cutter in my checked bags (and pray!). I just don't want my baby banged around like that.

Btw, her name is Ida, after my husband's great aunt that I positively adored. Neither Ida has ever flown before!

Thanks for any and all advice - except to check her!

Mary

quiltingcandy 01-24-2012 11:32 PM

Be ready to open it up and get it out of the carrying case. It really should not be a problem.

annthreecats 01-25-2012 02:35 AM

The only other thing I have heard is that you should remove the needle from Ida. Have fun at the retreat.

Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations 01-25-2012 02:49 AM

One thing is call the airline and ask them if there are any special rules concerning your machine.

QuiltingMia 01-25-2012 06:22 AM

Will it fit under your seat? If you have to put it in the overhead, is it ok to put the machine on it's side?

soccertxi 01-25-2012 06:56 AM

I have traveled many times with my Featherweight. I put my sharp items in a ziplock, including my machine needles in my check thru. One time she got swiped for drugs (like I would put drugs my BABY!!!) and the next time, they didnt even open the bag! I did find a rolling backpack that she fits in. I got tired of schlepping her. She is not heavy, but after lugging her all over the airport, she GOT heavy! I did precut my project, put it in a ziplock and used it as padding around her in the backpack. My husband golfed and I sewed. Happy campers!

sewingladydi 01-25-2012 07:12 AM

I'd contact the TSA. The airlines are not experts at what the TSA will allow.

amandasgramma 01-25-2012 08:00 AM

My first thought was ---- does it have a computer in it? My small Janome that I want to travel with does........would the Xray machine they use cause problems?????? Might talk to the manufacturer!

ewecansew 01-25-2012 08:42 AM

There are no computerized parts in a Singer 301, so that shouldn't be a problem. My question would be whether you can lift it into, and out of, the overhead without injuring yourself or anyone who may be sitting under the bin.

Annaquilts 01-25-2012 08:47 AM

Besure your lugage fits the weight and other measurement requirements.