Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice about how to enlarge a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-about-how-enlarge-quilt-t266872.html)

profannie 06-26-2015 02:33 AM

Advice about how to enlarge a quilt

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,
I got the request from a client to enlarge a quilt. She's attached to it and would like to put it on her new bed. She only wants to have it 16 inch larger, so I would need to add a 8 inch border each side. I find several post about how to do it technically; basically you do 4 quilted panel and attach them with a QAYG method. But I'm concern about the design; If I only need to add border on the side, I can't make a "frame" in matching pink. Any idea? What would you do?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523514[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]523515[/ATTACH]

ManiacQuilter2 06-26-2015 02:43 AM

This is one of the situation I try to avoid at all cost. I would do an extensive search for the correct shade of pink for the border that will match. This does not look like a quilt an individual made. There are so many variations of the color pink. Do it as a QAYG but you will also need to add to the backing. You will also then need to bind the quilt. I wish you the best of luck.

Maureen NJ 06-26-2015 03:48 AM

It looks like there are white blocks and mint green blocks. How about adding white border and quilting with that pretty deeper pink thread. Maybe even a decorative stitch in scallop shape. How wide is the present border? I would unstitch (rip out😒) the bottom portion of the crosses to allow some room to sew the border seam. Since there is presently no binding, I would not bother adding one either. I would cut a strip of white fabric 18" wide by length of side. I would fold and iron at 8 1/2" in from the one side of the 18" edge. That will give 1/2" Seam allowance and 8" in the front of quilt. On the opposite edge, I would turn under 3/4". That will give the backside 8" from the bottom edge + 1/2" above + 3/4" to backside. I would cut strip of batting 8 1/2" (8"+ 1/2" seam allowance) and sew batting and unpressed edge to front of quilt top, flip material down and to back, iron, carefully pin, and SID. Backing will be stitched down with SID. Then I would pin the batting down and do the quilting.

bearisgray 06-26-2015 04:09 AM

I also would avoid even considering doing it.

I would strongly suggest that it would now be a great cuddle quilt - and wonderful to use as an added throw when an extra covering was needed and that messing with it would spoil it.

Tartan 06-26-2015 04:19 AM

I would add dark pink borders in QAYG fashion. I would cut 8-1/2 inch strips of pink, 8-1/2 inch of batt and 8-1/2 of background fabric. I would lay the fabric for the top and back on either side of the old edge with the batt on one side, pin, sew the seam, and flip the fabric and batt out and then do the other sides. Once all the sides are done and flipped outward, I would then quilt and bind.

PenniF 06-26-2015 04:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My first thought was because my eye was drawn to the dark pink scallop. What about a scalloped border on the 2 sides you need to lengthen?? I think that would be pretty - any color you wanted..... I'd do it slightly differently than Tartan - tho that's a great method....i'd put the scallop together completely, including binding - leaving additional fabric beyond the batting top and bottom...and quilt it....then attach it as she said. I've done this before when making a large QAYG project because then i don't have to wrestle the whole quilt for quilting on my DSM. It's how i did this queen size bedspread
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523525[/ATTACH]

alleyoop1 06-26-2015 04:41 AM

I am in the process of enlarging my husband's favorite throw. First I purchased fabric to coordinate with the throw, then I took of the binding and am adding several 3 1/2" rows using the Quilt-As-You-Go method. I added new batting with a zig-zag stitch, attached the backing and am sewing the rows of fabric on to the quilt. Once it's done I'll put on a new binding and it will be approximately 18" wider and 18" longer. (But I think a new throw might have been easier and would look a lot better!)

faykilgore 06-26-2015 08:01 AM

Bless all of you who have tackled this. I would tell her to find a solid color bedspread that matches the quilt and put the quilt on top of it. That way the bed is covered and the quilt doesn't need to be widened. You have several good suggestions if you decide to add to the quilt. Best wishes!

MsHeirloom 06-26-2015 08:09 AM

Enlarged quilt

I recently enlarged a quilt to fit our king-sized tall bed. I made an 8" ruffle that fit three sides. I bound the top edge of the ruffle and then top-stitched the ruffle to the existing edges of the quilt. I am very happy with the result. The existing quilt even had a scalloped edge and this method worked wonderfully.

profannie 06-26-2015 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF (Post 7238885)
My first thought was because my eye was drawn to the dark pink scallop. What about a scalloped border on the 2 sides you need to lengthen?? I think that would be pretty - any color you wanted..... I'd do it slightly differently than Tartan - tho that's a great method....i'd put the scallop together completely, including binding - leaving additional fabric beyond the batting top and bottom...and quilt it....then attach it as she said. I've done this before when making a large QAYG project because then i don't have to wrestle the whole quilt for quilting on my DSM. It's how i did this queen size bedspread
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523525[/ATTACH]

Beautiful quilt, Penni! Can't believe you did this on your DSM!