Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice on color thread for yellow wholecloth (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-color-thread-yellow-wholecloth-t121005.html)

Happy Treadler 05-05-2011 10:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the advice! Here's a picture of a few different color options. As for the stitch quality, I'm a 'semi confident' hand quilter (definitely don't want anything that will totally blend in that you can't see - already been through that phase! tee hee). Please ignore any ink bleeding through the quilting in the picture as I messed up BIG TIME when marking the pattern and accidentally used a REGULAR pen that somehow migrated into my sewing room instead of my frixion!! Thankfully, got most of it out with alcohol, but obviously still have some to go. :roll:

And, Holice, I LOVE your pattern. The quilt is already basted, and can't wait to start on it. That is, once I make a decision on thread color! :)

Thread options
[ATTACH=CONFIG]193328[/ATTACH]

Hinterland 05-05-2011 10:36 AM

Honestly, you could go with any of those colors. I'm not wild about the white or yellow, but either the green or red would be nice.

Janet

quiltmouse 05-05-2011 10:42 AM

I think your work is lovely. I like the contrast of the red or green, but favor the green. (goes with yellow in my pea pickin head - all my 8 crayons had partners LOL)

do a test run in the seam allowance and pick the one YOU like?

..someone is bound to wonder
red + orange
yellow + green
blue + purple
brown + black

no idea why.

Happy Treadler 05-05-2011 10:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
What a great idea of 'auditioning' the colors in the seam allowance! I never thought of that. Here's two pics, one on the front of the quilt, one on the back. I did dark to light. The third one in is actually a mossy-looking-ish green with yellow hue, and it kinda makes it look like a shadow. Not sure if the red is too much contrast or not.

Dark to light
[ATTACH=CONFIG]193345[/ATTACH]

on backing (muslin)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]193350[/ATTACH]

quiltmouse 05-05-2011 11:41 AM

I like all but the white. It just depend what effect you want.

Borntohandquilt 05-05-2011 12:05 PM

Just to throw in my two cents worth here...I would go for one of the greens. I really love contrasting threads (right now I am quilting with a rust colored thread on a golden shaded fabric) but the red would be too dark for me and it doesn't look like red any more - it seems to be just "dark".
But, of course, it is your quilt and you have to decide! :)

sewcrafty 05-05-2011 01:34 PM

IMHO, I like the light green or the white. The other 2 are a little bright/dark for my taste.

KarenK 05-05-2011 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a small whole-cloth quilt using teal green fabric with evergreen thread. The darker thread not only emphasizes each stitch, it also brings a bit more definition to the design on the whole quilt.

My favorites are the 2 middle ones. The white doesn't show against the yellow and, for me, the red is too high of a contrast.

Hinterland 05-05-2011 03:27 PM

Karen, your quilt is lovely!

Janet

Rose L 05-05-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Theresa

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
I would use the grey/green you have in the leaves, instead of the rustic red/brown due to the amount of the color already on table runner. jmho

I'd go with this choice too.

I third this answer!