Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice on drawer sizes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-drawer-sizes-t127639.html)

LindaKayCat 06-02-2011 07:26 PM

We're in the middle of finishing up my "quilting studio" and am seeking your advice on drawer depths. 3", 4", 5", what? Do I need any deep drawers, such as 12"? I want to get this right the first time! I already have a fabric closet so this is for the rest of the "stuff". Any ideas? I sure appreciate any input. Thank you in advance.

LindaKayCat

JulieTN 06-02-2011 07:31 PM

Are you asking for what size cabinet-type thing you should buy? Or built?about 12" front to back if there is that type locale for it would seem good to me. MOre than enough space, yet not packed. In height, I would think something that easily accomedates fat quaters would be great.

How many drawers are you planning? You didn't give alot of reference info for suggestions to be based on. Try again, more info please.

Julie

LindaKayCat 06-02-2011 08:10 PM

I really just want to know what height drawers would be the most useful. Short, tall - a variety? The cabinet sizes are 19" wide by 30" tall.

Scissor Queen 06-02-2011 08:38 PM

I have four different dressers in my sewing room. They all have different drawer depths and all are useful. I keep thread in some of the shallow ones. In other shallow drawers are all sorts of tools and other miscellaneous small stuff. The medium deep drawers all have fabric. The biggest drawers have the UFOs.

It's your room. What things are you most likely to put in drawers? Make the drawers to fit that stuff.

ghostrider 06-02-2011 08:46 PM

A lot depends on what you plan to keep in the drawers. You could have graduated depths like 3", 5", 7" and 9" for overall usefulness. If you plan to have small storage boxes in the drawers, then their height plus an inch or so. If they are just for notions, then shallow drawers would be better; pattern books with their spines up would need more depth.

The dresser in my studio has maybe 7" drawers and I keep bolts of fusible web in one, rolls of Japanese papers in one, things that can be stacked without needing to 'dig' through them to get what I want.

Hope that starts you thinking. Have fun in your new space!

Ramona Byrd 06-02-2011 08:47 PM

If you're going to store cones of thread, then they'll have to be sitting up, and will need a much deeper drawer than regular thread. And even that is up for discussion, since I've seen one with 1 inch wood screwed/glued to the sides so they could add a drawer on top of the bottom layer. That way they could have two layers of thread, three if it was deep enough. Of course, to get to the bottom layer you'd have to either remove both top layers, or if they only take up half the drawer then just shove them back and forth to see all that is in the bottom layer.

With wood it's easy to add this and that to it.

JulieTN 06-03-2011 09:23 AM

I vote for the height of a fat quarter. Yes, they do vary, but takae the largest fold of a fat you can come up with.
Julie

LindaKayCat 06-03-2011 11:43 AM

Thanks for your help. We're off to get the lumber right now. I will show pictures when the project is completed. So excited... :!:
LindaKayCat