Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice on fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-fabric-t215988.html)

Skratchie 03-10-2013 08:01 AM

Advice on fabric

My husband and I got married four years ago this April. I bought a beautiful dress for the wedding, but since it's my second, I planned to sell it, but I've had no takers (my daughter from my first marriage would have no interest in it, and she's about as thin as a rail; I am not!). Now I'm thinking about doing a quilt using some of the fabric from the dress, but I'm not sure what type of fabric I should use with it. The dress is made of a duchess type satin in cream and ivory; my idea is to make a quilt using our wedding colors (beachy colors) mixed in with pieces from the dress. But I'm not sure if I should use satin here, and if I do, is there something I should do to the fabric before sewing it together? I don't think cotton would look right ...

Any suggestions here?

Boston1954 03-10-2013 08:08 AM

I do not know much about fabrics other than cotton. Someone told me that some others fray very quickly so I am afraid to work with anything else. The idea of "beachy" colors sounds adorable though. Do you have an idea of what patten you want?

Gramie bj 03-10-2013 08:15 AM

Last year, at a quilt show. I saw a quilt made out of wedding dresses. The squares were done like a crazy quilt and embellished using the lace and pearls, even buttons from the dresses. It was just gorgeous! That one was all satins and velvet, Dry Clean only. I'd treat your fabric according manufactures direction.

Ranchwife 03-10-2013 08:19 AM

Don't know about mixing fabrics, but do any of your bridesmaids have their dresses? They wold be neat to incorporate in the quilt. I would do all the pieces in your gown and a bridesmaid gown. If you had lace, beading, covered buttons, they would be neat to beautiful to use too. You could always use fusible interfacing or another type of facing to stabilize the fabric. Pinterest had a quilt link that was made from bridesmaids dresses. It was beautiful.

crafty pat 03-10-2013 08:21 AM

My DM made a crazy quilt using satin, silk and velvet, it was so beautiful.

mighty 03-10-2013 08:55 AM

Not sure about what to make but it is a wonderful idea!

Skratchie 03-10-2013 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ranchwife (Post 5918695)
Don't know about mixing fabrics, but do any of your bridesmaids have their dresses? They wold be neat to incorporate in the quilt. I would do all the pieces in your gown and a bridesmaid gown. If you had lace, beading, covered buttons, they would be neat to beautiful to use too. You could always use fusible interfacing or another type of facing to stabilize the fabric. Pinterest had a quilt link that was made from bridesmaids dresses. It was beautiful.

The bridesmaid's dresses are actually a bit of a touchy subject for me. I had four, which were a friend, my sister & niece, and my daughter. While everyone agreed on the dress, only my daughter ordered the one that was chosen. Everyone else waited until it was too late to order, and we had to go with off the rack dresses. So none of the dresses were the same color, and one was a completely different style to the other three. While I think using a bridesmaid dress is a cute idea, it's really not an option at this point. My entire wedding is a bit of a sore spot for me, actually, but it culminated in marrying a wonderful man, so in the end, I got exactly what I wanted - a great marriage. :o

I think I may just go buy some satin fabric in colors that are close to the colors we used for decorations, and the colors in the flowers I had. I'm just really nervous about all that satin! I've never really done a lot of fashion sewing, so I might need to practice some before I get started on the real deal.

maryb119 03-10-2013 09:06 AM

I am a bridal seamstress. If you plan to use pieces of your wedding gown....seam finishes are a must. Lots of satins fray and many are not made for hard use. If it is a heavy satin, you have many more options than you do with a light weight satin. Adding splashes of beach colors will be beautiful. I would try to find the same type of fabric, like satins and not mix it with cottons that will handle more wear and tear. Many satins are now washable and you may want to test yours by washing a small piece first. Pay attention to the washing instructions on the fabrics you put with it. You could dry clean it to be sure. I would love to see pictures when you finish it.

Skratchie 03-10-2013 09:10 AM

I was planning to serge the edges ... that should be fine, yes?

RedGarnet222 03-10-2013 09:14 AM

I am thinking that you are going to have to serge those edges of the satin, it loves to ravel. If you could find an heirloom or bridal sewing class (or book), that might be your best option on learning to work with this fabric.

I have a qult that my mom bought years ago at a big department store. It is all done in off whites, but is velvet, satin, and eyelet lace yardage. Beautiful but I rarely use it because of the dry cleaning it requires.