Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice on Hand Quilting Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-hand-quilting-frame-t252713.html)

sailsablazin 08-29-2014 07:15 PM

Advice on Hand Quilting Frame

I am considering buying a floor frame for my hand quilting. I have the space to set one up and am wondering if my quilt is sitting on the frame, that I might find more time to quilt it.
I am looking for anyone who can offer advice on which brand they use and why they like it. What should I look for when purchasing this hand quilting frame?
I have glanced at the Grace frames and the Hinterberg frames, but really know nothing about either frame.

Can anyone please offer advice?

At this time, I baste using the Sharon Shamber method and then quilt without a hoop on my lap.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

janedee 08-29-2014 07:59 PM

I too hand quilt on my lap without a frame, I thought it would be easier to have a frame, so I borrowed a friends and I could not get on with it, so my advice would be to try one before purchase, also, (I may be wrong on this) but I have always understood you shouldn't leave a quilt on a frame for too long as it can cause permanent creases. Can't answer your question as to different makes, just thought I would let you know my experience with one.

dmsaki 08-29-2014 08:05 PM

I use Ulmer frame and love it!

auntpiggylpn 08-29-2014 08:18 PM

If you want to try out a Grace EZ3 frame, I've got one I could lend you! I'm about an hour from you as I am just outside Kalamazoo. PM if you are interested!

http://www.graceframe.com/site/handframes/ez3

roguequilter 08-29-2014 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by janedee (Post 6865664)
I too hand quilt on my lap without a frame, I thought it would be easier to have a frame, so I borrowed a friends and I could not get on with it, so my advice would be to try one before purchase, also, (I may be wrong on this) but I have always understood you shouldn't leave a quilt on a frame for too long as it can cause permanent creases. Can't answer your question as to different makes, just thought I would let you know my experience with one.

i quilt w a hoop balanced on my knees as i recline in old platform rocker. i tried sitting at a floor frame (i have two antique ones from farm auctions in PA) ...i cannot sit w/o severe pain due to advanced spinal disease. as to leaving creases..i have used my old needlepoint scroll frams for doing miniatures and wall hangings for years. i usually try to have something small in a frame to practice on till i have my stitch rythym. i also have advanced degenerative arthritis in hands and fingers --so practice for an hour or so before i start work on my latest hand quilting project. below is a photo of a wall quilt that took me 13 yrs from start to finish. most of that time on a scroll frame while i used it to practice my stitching before i worked on several full sized & one kingsized bed quilts. none of my hand quilted projects have ever shown any creases, folds or damage from being in a frame or hoop, even if for a number of years. my arthtritis slows me down a lot! hope this posts ok ..have yet to figure out sizing on the Board photo posting

quiltingcandy 08-29-2014 09:32 PM

I have the Hinterberg round frame and love it because it comes to me, I am not leaning over it. You do have to baste still. But if you have the Grace frame, it does it for you. Wish I lived near auntpiggylpn.

Before I had my Hinterberg I had a frame that was not as sturdy as the Grace frames and it worked well enough but took up too much room so got rid of it. Now that my daughters are grown I have more room, but can't justify buying another frame. The other thing about my Hinterberg frame, I have the 2 different size round frames, the 1/2 frame and also a frame that I use for embroidery or needlepoint.

teddysmom 08-30-2014 11:21 AM

I've tried everything from a round hoop that sits in to my lap to a floor frame. I've finally decided the thing for me is just keeping the quilt in my lap and quilting that way. I pin, pin, pin, and then pin some more but it works for me.

jbj137 08-30-2014 12:08 PM

*** I have a Hinterberg and I love it.

SharonTheriault 08-30-2014 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 6865720)
I have the Hinterberg round frame and love it because it comes to me, I am not leaning over it. You do have to baste still. But if you have the Grace frame, it does it for you. Wish I lived near auntpiggylpn.

Before I had my Hinterberg I had a frame that was not as sturdy as the Grace frames and it worked well enough but took up too much room so got rid of it. Now that my daughters are grown I have more room, but can't justify buying another frame. The other thing about my Hinterberg frame, I have the 2 different size round frames, the 1/2 frame and also a frame that I use for embroidery or needlepoint.

I have the Hinterberg round frame too, with both sizes. What I like is the straight bar that fits on the frame for doing the edges. I haven't done any hand quilting in quite awhile. Really need to get back into it and use my marvelous frame.

Hinterland 08-30-2014 12:53 PM

I have a Hinterberg floor frame. There is a learning curve to using it, but once I learned to quilt with my thumb so I could quilt away from myself, I loved it.

As for the quilt creasing, that's not a problem. I work on my quilts for up to two years and keeping it in the frame does not harm it.

Good luck with your decision.

Janet