Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice for Kids' Quilt Project? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-kids-quilt-project-t189609.html)

Neesie 05-22-2012 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 5234034)

Ooooh! I need that . . . for ME! LOL Thanks! :thumbup:

Neesie 05-22-2012 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by denveremerson (Post 5234823)
Neesie, what a cool grandma you are. Please keep us informed as to how your mini-sewing-daycamp goes. I'm going to be following this. Have fun!!

I'm soooo looking forward to this! Here are the fabrics I bought, yesterday (all from WalMart, some on sale). May add a few from my stash, as well. They probably won't use all of the fabrics but I wanted to give them a good choice. Can you tell I'm getting excited about this? :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337187[/ATTACH]

Neesie 05-22-2012 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by stampinteresa (Post 5234878)
Neesie, This is such a cool idea.
Last August, several of the ladies in the church association did a quilting camp for girls 8 to 108. They could each make a 4 block lap quilt. The blocks were 12 1/2 finished. They put in sashing and borders. SID and borders.
The youngest just turned 8. The secret to our success was many volunteers, giving each student an adult. I shared myself with two sisters. It was 5 days and two hours. Not good, many days we stayed late or came early to help those who could come.
The only charge was $15.00 to pay for the warm and natural batting. We had lots of donated fabrics that a few of us sorted a head of time.
The girls and adults loved getting to learn to cut the fabrics they chose from the stash. I would have preferred to have premade kits already cut (that we put together ahead of time) and then they could have selected the colors (as they did from the stash). I also cringed at the waste in cutting the batting.
We used the 9 block and patiece corner, two each. We had someone supervise cutting and ironing for safety reasons. Hope this helps. Teresa

Yes! It does help! Thanks! I need all the success stories, I can get. :) That sounds like so much fun!

Wish I had more people, experienced in sewing, to help. My daughter (27) will be here but she's going to learn to sew, as well. She wasn't interested in it, as a child, so I'm thrilled with her change of heart! Anyway, she'll be able to help me watch those little fingers, around the needle, at least. If I can get her up to speed, before the "camp," maybe we can each take a child and a machine. Hmmmmmm. . . . I need a second chair!!! I KNEW I should've bought two chairs, when they were on sale! :p

We're probably gonna go with 12" - 15" (finished) blocks . . . and I'm thinking 1/2" seams, to give more "ooops" room. Still trying to decide just how many blocks and the finished size. Guess I need to measure different sizes against my DGD, since she's the tallest.

denveremerson 05-22-2012 09:14 AM

Neesie, very pretty fabrics. They'll have so much fun!

Dolphyngyrl 05-22-2012 04:32 PM

when I did a doll quilt when I was little they just had us pick out charm squares to sew together

applique 05-23-2012 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by lucky_alf2 (Post 5232827)
I recently read about a kindergarten pillow project. the parent put the pedal on the table and let the child press the pedal to make the machine go. The parent "drove" and had the "speed" limited too. She said the kids loved it. I plan to let my 6year old sew a pillowcase like this once school is out :)

This does work well with the pedal on the table right beside the machine. I use the old fashioned laundry pen (Identa pen) for signatures and black and white marking..

Laura22 05-25-2012 03:23 PM

That sounds like fun, not sure if anyone mentioned it, but I've had good results with a sharpie that's been heat sealed with my iron on fabric. It hasn't faded in the wash for me.

Nanaquilts44 05-25-2012 03:41 PM

Sometimes my 7 year-old grandson wants to sew with me. He loves the foot pedal and I can just set the speed for slow on my machine and we sit together and sew.

JJean 05-25-2012 03:44 PM

It sounds like so much fun!

dublb 05-25-2012 04:33 PM

What about settin' those blocks brick style. Each seam lines up w/the middle of the block above & below it. That way those girls don't have ta match seams?