Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice needed on "Vintage" Quilt--To Repair or Not to Repair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-needed-%22vintage%22-quilt-repair-not-repair-t41002.html)

clem55 03-29-2010 08:02 AM

I would say so!! My Aunt sold some of my grandmothers quilts( wouldn't let family get them) and even the ones in worse shape than yours sold for $300, or more! I wanted one so badly, grandma had made one for each grandchild, ( to be given on her death) but my,"dear aunt" took them and then sold them at auction and none of the 13 g-kids got their quilt. None could afford that were there, and some couldn't be there for the auction.

Quilting Nonnie 03-29-2010 08:11 AM

I would talk to someone who is an expert in restoration. You could ask at your quilt store and they might know someone.

When I've had my aunt's quilts (40-50 years old quilts) appraised, the appraiser always tells me how to take care of any worn out areas or deteriorated areas. They also tell me never to wash the quilts.

Good luck with your beautiful find. What a treasure!

Oklahoma Suzie 03-29-2010 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I really can't see to well, so I'll ask this. Is there enough fabric to mend the flower? I was wondering if there is enough fabric there to maybe put a very light weight fusible under it to secure it to?

good idea

butterflywing 03-29-2010 02:14 PM

what do you intend to do with it?

one way to help preserve the quilt is to get netting in as close a color to the worn-out area as possible. take tiny pick-stitches all around the hole, so that the hole is neatly encased in the netting. when you're satisfied that it's as secure as it can be, then trim the netting close to the hole, being very careful not to go over where the hand stitches are. the netting will keep the batting and the surrounding cloth from shifting or further wear.

now! if you want to display it, stop right there and display it. think of the displays of the egyptian tombs. where the original stones are missing, they filled in with plaster. everyone knows they are there to hold it all together, not to fool you. same thing. the netting will just just be a necessary evil holding the original together. nothing to do about that without GREAT cost. i mean totally restoring all the worn spots with fabric from the era.

if you intend to use it, don't. the entire thing will fall apart in no time at all. even light and heat are bad for it at this point. keep it out of the sun. not hanging is very important - it's own weight will tear it. fold it neatly and display it on a sofa or bed, carefully removing it before the furniture is used. refold carefully and often. the fibres will actually break if left in a fold for too long. it's a real pity that someone didn't take care of it, but it was probably a utility quilt and well-used for many years.

good luck with it and enjoy it for many more.

p.s. never, ever cover it with plastic. moisture will get in and mildew will appear. let the fabric breathe.

clem55 03-29-2010 02:32 PM

NOw that was excellent advice! I'm going to use it for my antique DWQ.

Gal 03-29-2010 02:46 PM

Yes I have to agree about not using plastic as moisture cannot escape because the temperature does go up and down through out the year and trapped moisture can leave water marks and mildew. Some things I have wanted preseved I have wrapped in cotton muslin to keep out the dust and light and put away in carboard boxes with lavender to keep out silver fish moths etc refolding them often. I have some beautiful woolen cot blankets my Mum made for my children and they are still good kept this way after 20 0dd years.

Gal

frannella 03-29-2010 04:38 PM

Dear Butterflywing--thank you so much for your thoughtful advice--please understand I wasn't thinking of wrapping this lovely quilt in plastic--rather of having a special lucite box made for displaying it--(1) a rounded wooden bar to drape it over and (2) plenty of air inside the lucite 'frame," but dust and dirt can't penetrate. What I am envisioning is almost like one of those special trifold boxes you can store American flags in (e.g., the flag from my father's burial at Arlington), only lucite all around instead of wood and glass.

Would a glass box be better?

butterflywing 03-29-2010 07:40 PM

just make sure that there are plenty of venting areas on the top so that moist air can rise through the top and not get trapped with nowhere to go. if it's also open on the bottom, that would give it good ventilation. up through the bottom and out through the top. if you drape it, refold it often.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-30-2010 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
what do you intend to do with it?

one way to help preserve the quilt is to get netting in as close a color to the worn-out area as possible. take tiny pick-stitches all around the hole, so that the hole is neatly encased in the netting. when you're satisfied that it's as secure as it can be, then trim the netting close to the hole, being very careful not to go over where the hand stitches are. the netting will keep the batting and the surrounding cloth from shifting or further wear.

now! if you want to display it, stop right there and display it. think of the displays of the egyptian tombs. where the original stones are missing, they filled in with plaster. everyone knows they are there to hold it all together, not to fool you. same thing. the netting will just just be a necessary evil holding the original together. nothing to do about that without GREAT cost. i mean totally restoring all the worn spots with fabric from the era.

if you intend to use it, don't. the entire thing will fall apart in no time at all. even light and heat are bad for it at this point. keep it out of the sun. not hanging is very important - it's own weight will tear it. fold it neatly and display it on a sofa or bed, carefully removing it before the furniture is used. refold carefully and often. the fibres will actually break if left in a fold for too long. it's a real pity that someone didn't take care of it, but it was probably a utility quilt and well-used for many years.

good luck with it and enjoy it for many more.

p.s. never, ever cover it with plastic. moisture will get in and mildew will appear. let the fabric breathe.

great advice.