Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice needed/appreciated regarding chenille technique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-needed-appreciated-regarding-chenille-technique-t279890.html)

Rosasta0 06-24-2016 08:47 AM

Advice needed/appreciated regarding chenille technique

I am planning on making a chenille baby quilt made w/panels. I understand that I need backing, batting and three panels. You need to layer the panels exactly on top of each other and then you sew your lines and cut between them (making sure you sew the lines on the bias).

My question is - Would it make sense to glue baste the backing/batting and one panel and then layer the two remaining panels on top of that and then sew the lines, or would that make it too difficult to match them up? I have never attempted this type of quilt and would greatly appreciate any hints or ideas you may have

Thanks so much.

Tartan 06-24-2016 08:56 AM

I did my chenille baby blanket before glue basting was popular. In theory it sounds like a good idea however you won't know until you try it. Maybe try a small sample and turn it into a pot holder before doing your panels?

Mitch's mom 06-24-2016 01:00 PM

I have been on a Chenille blanket making kick. I read a blog post someplace where the lady said to pick reference points on your panel and make sure they meet as close as possible then spray baste them matching your reference points as you go. It has worked for me so far.

suern3 06-24-2016 01:36 PM

Can someone tell me what this is? Are you making your own chenille with a tool? I'm in the dark on this one.

Tartan 06-24-2016 01:48 PM

The first chenille baby blankets were made from flannel because it frays well. You lay your backing fabric down, smooth out your batt on top, then you lay 4 layers of flannel on top. The flannel against the batt is NEVER cut. You stitch lines on the bias every 1/2 inch across the whole the quilt top. After the whole top is stitched you cut through 3 of the layers right down the center of the lines. Some use a chenille cutter but I use my spring scissors being careful not to cut the last layer. Once all your chenille is cut, you bind the edge and throw the blanket in the wash to start the chenille process. It makes a ton of lint so check the lint trap regularly. It will also make lint in the dryer. It makes a lovely fluffy soft blanket.
There are several variations on this technique if you YouTube you should find tutorials.

suern3 06-24-2016 02:29 PM

Thanks, Tartan. I'll have to look that up.

ManiacQuilter2 06-24-2016 09:43 PM

I think you need more like 3 to 4 layers and then the backing. You need another layer if you are going to put any batting in the quilt. Flannel gives such a nicer unraveling and is so soft and cuddly.

illinois 06-26-2016 03:30 AM

I had to chuckle when this technique first came out. We used to have chenille bathrobes and bedspreads. Some of the designs were quite pretty actually. They weren't just the straight lines across the base fabric. Most of them were thought to be old-fashioned and discarded as junk. Now we are making it ourselves and think it's the finest thing to do! (What goes around, comes around, I guess.)

Nanny's dollface 06-26-2016 06:50 AM

I had no idea what chenille making was and had to go to You Tube to follow-up. One of the videos said to use 3 panels plus another layer then the backing. Various techniques were used: one used a spray basting on the panels matching up a reference point with a straight pin then later the 3 spray basted panels on the 4th layer then onto backing . Baste all 5 layers first then sew diagonal lines through all 5 layers. Using a chenille cutter, cut between the sewing lines being careful not to cut the backing. None of the videos so far mentioned the using batting in the 5 layers so I suppose after the chenille layer is made you could add batting and another backing.

jamsbuying 06-26-2016 11:34 AM

What a cute idea! I wanta see what you end up with, it sounds darling!