Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   advice needed- semi newbie working on tee quilt- bunching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-needed-semi-newbie-working-tee-quilt-bunching-t15071.html)

squawcorn256 01-05-2009 06:16 PM

thanks for all the tips...
i will still look into the walking foot as im sure that it is something that i will eventually want to invest in...

i have turned the tension down and the fabric upside down (cotton touching feed dogs and tee/white interfacing on top) and that has seemed to help... they are laying flat and has been minimal bunching... or maybe i just cant see it...

pocoellie 01-05-2009 06:18 PM

One thing is, you're not using a walking or even feed foot, another is probably the machine (my opinion). I have an extra walking foot that I could loan you until you get another. If you would like, just PM me.

littlehud 01-05-2009 09:53 PM

The second quilt I made was a T-shirt quilt for my DD. I call it the quilt from H***. At that time I had no idea what a walking foot was or the right stabilizer to use. Wish I had known about this site then. If I did it now I would have used a much lighter stabilizer and used my walking foot. No matter what, my DD loves that quilt. It is one of her favorites.

GailG 01-10-2009 03:30 AM

I haven't used interfacing, but for 12 and 1/2 inch blocks, I cut all of my sashings the same length. Then I pin, pin, pin, with the t-shirt against the feed dogs and the sashing against the presser foot. The feed dog usually eases the t-shirt to fit the sashing. I haven't used my walking foot for this, but the next time I will try it. I haven't had the problem you seem to be having. It seems that the t-shirt is being STRETCHED to fit the sashing. Perhaps your stitch is too short. Also, I would try lifting up a little on your presser foot tension

GailG 01-10-2009 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by squawcorn256
i dont know exactly what kind of interfacing i used... it was a mid weight one.. but i did use one to prevent stretching...

walking foots... i was looking at joanns sites and it said they were not available in stores... where should I look for one

ive heard them mentioned several times on here... and probably need to look into investing in one

are they universal? or as long as i buy the singer brand, should it fit my machine? or would it be more specific to the higher end machines?

are walking foots and even feeds the same? just a preference of what to call it?

Nancy's Notions and Clotilde catalogs have them. Check their sites online.

beachlady 01-10-2009 05:00 AM

I have not had that problem with the t-shirt quilt I am making, but yours sounds like tension problem. I have not had to use my walking foot, but will keep that in mind. I can not imagine not using stablizer on the back of the t-shirts.

Skeat 01-10-2009 06:16 AM

I just finished a huge tshirt quilt myself. And, I would say by looking at your pics that your fusing looks great from the top but, here's what I did. I did not put my 'pins' the direction I was sewing. I put them in towards the fabric, I guess down by your pics instead of running them the same direction as your strip. Also, I used my 1/4" sewing foot. It did great for me. (The one w/the guide on the edge) If you have that...you might try it. With your pins running the same way as your fabric is being sewn, it gives it too much movement (in my opinion) and doesn't stop the stretching of the fabric. Keep us posted:)Skeat

Skeat 01-10-2009 06:18 AM

Also, don't forget to press that strip when done sewing. You might be amazed how the tshirt fabric will work w/it once ironed:0)S

janell2009 08-21-2011 06:47 AM

I have done several t-shirt quilts.. to me it looks like you need a better stabilizer. You could try ironing on some butcher paper so that you do not get the stretch, it will come off right after you sew it. Also use heavy starch on the sashing that will help it hold also and slide thru the machine better. I did use starch on the t-shirts also.

romanojg 08-21-2011 06:50 AM

Maybe you should use a walking foot to make the fabric pull at the same time. I've also heard using a stablizer on the tee shirt fabric will help