Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   advice needed on a version of Grandmother Flower Garden quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-needed-version-grandmother-flower-garden-quilt-t300068.html)

mtkoldra 10-08-2018 09:52 AM

advice needed on a version of Grandmother Flower Garden quilt

1 Attachment(s)
I fell in love with hand piecing and I wanted to use leftover fabric from this line. This is all the scraps that I have, I am saving one yardage for possible border. These are 14 inch blocks and it looks like a lot of blank space. I want to add sashing, maybe just 1 inch wide. Will that make way too much of a blank space? should I trim the blocks? and then add sashing? then the quilt will be really small. I know that there more experience quilters on this forum, with better eyes.
Thank you

Iceblossom 10-08-2018 10:34 AM

It's lovely and no matter what you decide to do it will remain lovely!

I generally don't do a lot of quilting design work so I typically don't use a lot of white space. For me I'd trim the blocks down to 12" finished size and I probably would use 2" sashing. I'd probably keep the sashing print and only the sashing square background. The yard you have left is probably enough (did some rough math in my head) for either a border or sashing. I'd consider buying some similar colored/patterned fabric that is an opposite color from your border yardage (so if you have green use pink or yellow etc.). Seems like no matter how much fabric I have I can always use a little more...

One thought I had if you bought some additional fabric to sash with and used the yard you have for the borders is to make a single hex for each of the sashing squares out of the border fabric, putting it on the background fabric. Not sure what size your sashing would need to be to accommodate that. It would probably be simpler and you would probably still have enough fabric to make the sashing squares out of the border fabric.

Tartan 10-08-2018 10:45 AM

It depends on how you want to quilt it. When the blocks are sewn together now, you will have some nice big sections to do some fancy quilting in. Those white sections would look great with some secondary patterns quilted in as in Angela Walters quilts.
If you don’t want to do fancy quilting, then maybe some sashing would work. You could join them as is and then appliqué hexagons as sashing to cover the seams.

joyce blint 10-08-2018 12:22 PM

How about framing each block with a certain print and then sash those blocks together with a different fabric (using what ever width makes the quilt the desired size). Using this idea you could reduce the block size with the framing and sashing.

feline fanatic 10-08-2018 12:38 PM

I agree with Tartan. All that negative space would be a fabulous canvas for some secondary quilting designs.

zozee 10-08-2018 12:38 PM

Those are beautiful blocks. I'm in awe of hand piecers.

Like Joyce, I was thinking sashing each block with a print--maybe a small plaid using the green, salmon and white? Or a celery green and salmon stripe? I just think you have already have a good bit of white. You'll have to figure out how big you want the overall quilt, and work backwards from there. Just one yard of may or may not be enough, depending on how big it is after sashing.

Jingle 10-08-2018 12:54 PM

Later on today some others may be able to help you.

Without buying more fabrics I couldn't help you.

ragamuffin 10-08-2018 07:51 PM

This is a suggestion for you. Looking at the way you have it laid out, I would try to rearrange it so 2 green ones are not next to each other. You could try taking the darker orange ones from corner to corner, then scatter the green and even it out. Perhaps putting the darker orange in the center and 4 corners. I would try all different ways, take a picture of it, then lay a different way, take a picture of it again. When you see them on your computer, you will find one that suits you better. Have fun, I really like the pattern you are using.

illinois 10-09-2018 02:44 AM

My first thought was to reduce the size of the block--that's a lot of white. But then I noticed your avatar and it has a lot of white in it, too. Look how nicely it turned out! Love the colors in your flowers though and I'd want them to be the focus of this one. How pretty. Do show us the finished product.

Mkotch 10-09-2018 02:48 AM

It's lovely. You could simply sew the blocks together and applique a hexagon where four blocks meet. I like the idea of framing each block and then sashing, too.