Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice please - birthing a pieced top and fleece backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-please-birthing-pieced-top-fleece-backing-t282046.html)

KenmoreGal2 09-09-2016 10:20 AM

Advice please - birthing a pieced top and fleece backing

I won't be using a batting. This will be about 45 x 70. I'm thinking of sewing the top parts, right sides together. Then hang it on a clothesline and pin the front and back together (right sides facing each other) on the 2 sides and bottom. Then sew around the edges again, leaving a hole for turning. I would then turn it, trim the edges and close up the hole.

I was thinking since there is no worry about batting shifting, I could just do some random tacking stitches here and there to hold it together. Meaning I won't be quilting it per se. I'd probably stitch the edges too.

Is there anything wrong with my plan?? I'm making it up as I go.

QuiltnNan 09-09-2016 10:29 AM

while the right sides are together, is there a reason you want to sew it around twice?

KenmoreGal2 09-09-2016 10:38 AM

No, I misspoke. This is what I'm thinking.

1. Sew just the top right sides together. Then I can hang the quilt and pin the rest.
2. Sew the sides and most of the bottom, right sides together.
3. Flip right sides out
4. Sew the hole in the bottom where I flipped it
5. Sew once more around the edges, right sides out.
6. Do a few tacks here and there but not full on quilting.

Thanks!

QuiltnNan 09-09-2016 11:27 AM

i think it sounds like a good plan

Bjbaxter 09-09-2016 11:32 AM

Just make sure the fabrics for the top were pre-shrunk, since the fleece won't shrink.

KenmoreGal2 09-09-2016 11:36 AM

Thanks QuiltnNan and Bjbaxter.

Bjbaxter - I literally emptied ALL my scrap bins and made scrappy tops. Totally and absolutely scrappy, the only consistent factor is they are all 6" tall. I can't be sure they've all been prewashed, in fact they probably have not been. I guess fingers crossed!! Since I'm not going to quilt it per se, just do some tacks here and there, hopefully shrinkage won't be too noticeable. I never gave it a thought. Darn.

toverly 09-09-2016 01:16 PM

I just did this with regular batting and backing. Never tried fleece but it seems like it would work fine. The only problem I had was not getting wrinkles in the back even though I pinned, pinned, pinned. The fleece may give a little more.

KenmoreGal2 09-09-2016 01:21 PM

I thought where I was just going to do a little tacking, not quilting, that I would not have to pin much. Am I wrong in thinking this? In fact, I was just going to pin the edges before I sew them. Then once it was flipped the right way and the hole sewn, I was just going to lay the quilt flat on the machine bed and tack here and there. Kind of like tying (although I've never tied). Is this a mistake?

I'm making 2 throws for my own use so I'm not too fussy.

I don't even necessarily have to fasten the front and back to each other, do I?

tesspug 09-09-2016 01:33 PM

The other possibility is cutting the backing larger and using it to wrap around the front as a binding.

meyert 09-09-2016 01:51 PM

I have done several quilts using the birthing method. I think your plan will work. I don't hang on the clothesline I just spread it out on the floor.

Once I turned it right side out I sewed very close to the edge all of the way around. That seemed to help it lay flat

I would be afraid if you didn't sew the front and back together at all it would "floppy" But that's how those tie fleece blankets are and a lot of people like them

I don't know how just tacking will work - I guess it depends on how often. When I did this I did quilt in cross hatches about 8" apart and everything went just fine

good luck