Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice Please! Electric Quilt (EQ7) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-please-electric-quilt-eq7-t176520.html)

bubble951 01-22-2012 05:24 AM

Advice Please! Electric Quilt (EQ7)

I'm thinking of buying Electric Quilt 7. Do you have this program? How helpful is it? Can you recomend it or another program. How advance computer user do you have to be? What are pros and Cons? Help!!!!!!!!!

btiny36 01-22-2012 06:16 AM

Well I have to say I started with EQ4 and upgraded each time it was offered...You really don't need to be an advanced computer user at all...I just did the lessons that were provided with the manual...I'm told that I spend alot of time designing and playing with my EQ7...I love it and can't imagine anyone not enjoying having this program. There is plenty of help right here on this board...So for me I would say yes for sure purchase this program, don't think you would be disappointed...with any new program there is a learning curve, but there is a wealth of help here and other online groups.....

QuiltnNan 01-22-2012 06:21 AM

what btiny said. also, if you go to Tutorials, Rhonda has done weekly tutorials and then posted .pdf's of all of them. i found them very helpful. they will give you an idea of what can be accomplished with the program.

dunster 01-22-2012 10:26 AM

I use EQ on almost everything I make (on lots more that never gets made). The only con I know of is that you do have to practice using it to be proficient, and if you're not computer savvy then you will need to practice more.

Peckish 01-22-2012 10:41 AM

I use EQ7 also. I didn't use the tutorials, I'm more of a search-the-index-for-what-I-want kind of girl. I was able to figure out how to use EQ by just clicking on things to see what they did. If I couldn't figure it out, I'd look it up in the manual or click on the Videos or Help buttons.

I can't compare and contrast the other design programs that are out there, I've only used EQ.

thepolyparrot 01-22-2012 11:14 AM

I make a lot more EQ quilts than real ones. But, any quilt I make for real is first made in EQ. It's so much fun to play with, not even counting the accuracy of yardage requirements, the math that it does for me, the templates, rotary cutting charts and even foundation papers it will print for each block.

If you like playing with computer graphics programs, you will probably love this. If you want to be able to draw your quilts with the actual fabrics you want to use or play with quilting plans for a completed top, you will probably love this.

Nobody can guarantee that you'll like it as much as they do - me, either. But, I'm addicted to it. :D

deemail 01-22-2012 05:16 PM

i've had EQ since it was EQ3 and I love it...I use it a minimum of once a week... love the fabric yardage function and I always put the current quilt into the program just to play with border size, number and color... if i never did anything else, it would be worth it for these two functions... and Rhonda's tutorials on EQ are wonderful... i have learned a lot even tho i have owned it for years...

Hen3rietta 01-23-2012 05:32 AM

I've had it since EQ4 and use it as I would any other tool. Mostly I draw up my ideas and it lets me play with color choices, rotation and placement. I don't bother uploading fabrics but rather pick something from the existing palette that approximates what I want to use. It does have a learning curve which will be easier if you have worked with CAD programs before, but even with that I'd recommend investing in the basic written manual. It is much easier than trying to wend your way through the online help.

judi wess 01-23-2012 06:42 AM

I love my EQ software, have been using it since EQ4, love the upgrades!!! I don't subscribe to quilt magazines anymore, just pick up a magazine once in a great while for inspiration. I just love that I can design a block any size desired. I found the supplemental books very helpfull, they are written as tutorials. Their tech support is great, a real person if you need it. The only cost is a phone call!!!
I designed a quilt for my brother in law that I couldn't have done otherwise. Even designed the block and then played with the layout. I have ADD, seriously, and don't have the patience for graph paper and crayons, really....no kidding. Another issue, there is a big difference between ADD and ADHD!!!

Lori S 01-23-2012 07:32 AM

I have it but don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would.