Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice please for how to remove mechanical pencil stains from a quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-please-how-remove-mechanical-pencil-stains-quilt-t260871.html)

rosiewell 02-08-2015 10:01 AM

I find that if you iron over the pencil marks, it will be very hard to get them out, otherwise washing will do the trick

Pennyhal 02-08-2015 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie (Post 7082052)
Good luck with the stain. I have a quilt with pencil marks on it that have been there for ages. Don't know how to get them out so I am very interested in this answer. Good luck.

Hair spray will remove ball point pen ink.

captlynhall 02-08-2015 05:59 PM

I use mechanical pencils frequently, and always erase the lines immediately after quilting the marked block. So far, so good. They come right off with the eraser. I do mark as I go, so the pencil lines do not stay on the fabric for a long time. I'm sorry this did not work for you this time.

copycat 02-09-2015 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 7079290)
Have you washed the quilt yet? The only time I've had those marks be stubborn I used some liquid dish soap (like dawn) with a soft toothbrush. Any other time, simply a regular wash in the machine takes care of them.

No I have not washed the quilt yet.
Thank you for all the tips and solutions you have found to work for you.
After I try some of the ideas posted, I will let everyone know what I tried and what worked. (or what may not have worked) Stay tuned!

azwendyg 02-09-2015 07:59 AM

Thanks for the tip on these pencils, Jan! I've had problems with regular graphite being stubborn or down right impossible to remove and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to those blue water soluble markers.

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7080064)
Next time try these pencils for quilt marking. I've used them for 15 years to mark my quilts for hand quilting and wash the quilt afterward with no problems removing the marks.
http://www.amazon.com/Sketch-Wash-Pe...d+wash+pencils
They are also often available at Michaels. You will want a very good, sharp, handheld pencil sharpener.

Jan in VA

frannella 02-09-2015 12:10 PM

[QUOTE I made the same mistake! Soaked the quilt in Biz, the went over any remaining marks with a toothbrush and blue Dawn. Did finally remove them. (my pencil was a #2 , most came out fine it was just a few that were extra stubborn)[/QUOTE]

I second the Biz recommendation. If you use this enzyme product in a granular form, make a strong solution of it by completely dissolving the Biz powder in boiling water. I have soaked items for 3 days or more and it has done the trick. As an enzyme cleaning agent, and not a bleach, I have never experienced fading or color loss of whatever I am soaking. The only time Biz has failed me is after I inadvertently ironed and indelibly set blue Chako registration lines on a heavy cotton weave. It's amazing stuff. Good luck.

copycat 02-09-2015 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by frannella (Post 7083997)
[QUOTE I made the same mistake! Soaked the quilt in Biz, the went over any remaining marks with a toothbrush and blue Dawn. Did finally remove them. (my pencil was a #2 , most came out fine it was just a few that were extra stubborn)

I second the Biz recommendation. If you use this enzyme product in a granular form, make a strong solution of it by completely dissolving the Biz powder in boiling water. I have soaked items for 3 days or more and it has done the trick. As an enzyme cleaning agent, and not a bleach, I have never experienced fading or color loss of whatever I am soaking. The only time Biz has failed me is after I inadvertently ironed and indelibly set blue Chako registration lines on a heavy cotton weave. It's amazing stuff. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

I will purchase Biz tomorrow. So far I have tried shout and oxiclean with no luck. I appreciate the Biz receipe for soaking. I'll give it a try.

copycat 02-16-2015 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by frannella (Post 7083997)
[QUOTE I made the same mistake! Soaked the quilt in Biz, the went over any remaining marks with a toothbrush and blue Dawn. Did finally remove them. (my pencil was a #2 , most came out fine it was just a few that were extra stubborn)

I second the Biz recommendation. If you use this enzyme product in a granular form, make a strong solution of it by completely dissolving the Biz powder in boiling water. I have soaked items for 3 days or more and it has done the trick. As an enzyme cleaning agent, and not a bleach, I have never experienced fading or color loss of whatever I am soaking. The only time Biz has failed me is after I inadvertently ironed and indelibly set blue Chako registration lines on a heavy cotton weave. It's amazing stuff. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

I had to look online for where to buy Biz. I looked at Food lion and then a Walmart close by with no luck. I found Biz at another Walmart on the other side of town. I pretreated the marks with a strong solution of Biz and used a brush to
saturate the lines. I soaked the quilt for 3 hours. Most of the marks came out. A few darker lines remain. I forgot to dissolve the Biz in Boiling water. I did get out a few stubborn marks with an eraser after washing in Biz

bakermom 02-16-2015 06:39 AM

Glad it helped!