Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice please on sew easy strata star (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-please-sew-easy-strata-star-t260549.html)

onaemtnest 01-30-2015 05:02 PM

Advice please on sew easy strata star

I just finished 'birthing' the Sew Easy Strata Star. Up until now I was thinking this is great it turned out wonderfully!

Now here is where I'm needing help, as I've never quilted a birthed quilt. I have stitched in the ditch successfully with a layered table topper so I could 'ease' the fabric from the center out. I usually send all my quilts out to the LA. I have only quilted small wall hangings etc., again all were layered.

With this table topper having the sewn edges I'm not sure how I will keep from getting puckers and folds. I have quilt pins the curved type do I just pin, pin, pin and then pin once more?

Any words of wisdom of those that have been-there-and-done the Strata Star or quilted a birthed quilt will be most appreciated.

Ruby the Quilter 01-30-2015 05:17 PM

When I made mine I used lots of pins and then rolled it tightly and did a stitched from one point all the way across to a point then did the same the other way so it was in four parts and it made it easy to do more quilting. I have made 3 and used the same method. Hope this makes sense.

GrammaNan 01-30-2015 05:51 PM

That is a problem with a birthed quilt. It can pucker easily when quilted. Quilt as far apart as the batting will allow and pin, pin, pin.

Jan in VA 01-30-2015 11:04 PM

This is why I personally hand baste; for me it's more controlling than pinning.

Jan in VA

ManiacQuilter2 01-31-2015 04:28 AM

I ended up starting to press the ends flat and then press the quilt. Usually cotton will stick to cotton fabric and I put only a few pins in.

Mary O 01-31-2015 05:11 AM

I put a binding on mine and quilt before.Maybe you can try that next time and hope you can quilt this one where it looks ok......

onaemtnest 01-31-2015 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 7070686)
This is why I personally hand baste; for me it's more controlling than pinning.

Jan in VA

Hi Jan,
I'm so glad that you responded to my asking for help in quilting the Sew Easy Strata Star. I always appreciate when you share your wonderful knowledge.

If you wouldn't mind my questions here... I've never basted a quilt or table topper. I went to YouTube and watched Sharon Schamber's video on herringbone hand basting, is this the type of basting that you would suggest on this smallish piece?

Or would I just use longer stitches along the linear lines of the star? I have to look on the Warm and Natural to see how far apart I can stitch...I was hoping to stitch most of the lines, however now think that less would probably be better? What do you think? I know this is probably a silly question but how long of a stitch length would you use?

onaemtnest 01-31-2015 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mary O (Post 7070816)
I put a binding on mine and quilt before.Maybe you can try that next time and hope you can quilt this one where it looks ok......

Hi Mary ~
Thanks for taking the time to reply....Ohhhh, I must confess I cannot understand how to cut bias strips. I've watched a couple of YouTube videos and fold like this and cut like this makes all those old gears in my head go whack a doodle.

I never gave a thought to quilting a birthed quilt...so I hope I can 'get' quilting this smallish piece as it was fun seeing the star come together and I do want to make more.

onaemtnest 01-31-2015 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7070770)
I ended up starting to press the ends flat and then press the quilt. Usually cotton will stick to cotton fabric and I put only a few pins in.

I did notice when I was pressing the top that it did seem to stick, then I had leave and put it on the design wall, so I will have to see how it is this morning. I may very well be making more of an issue with this than is necessary, one of my many personality faults...that making mountains out of mole hill thing :0) Thanks for taking the time to reply to my request.

onaemtnest 01-31-2015 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter (Post 7070441)
When I made mine I used lots of pins and then rolled it tightly and did a stitched from one point all the way across to a point then did the same the other way so it was in four parts and it made it easy to do more quilting. I have made 3 and used the same method. Hope this makes sense.

Hi Ruby ~
I had so much 'fun' making this and seeing it come together and I do want to make one for each season until I got to this point and I don't want to make a mess of quilting it. So thanks so much for your explanation it does make sense to me. My thinking was point to point too. Did you stitch the outside edges? I was wondering if that would be necessary to keep the back from eventually rolling/shifting to the front or would the linear stitching keep it in check?