Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice on putting together these crazy quilt blocks for quilt... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-putting-together-these-crazy-quilt-blocks-quilt-t251651.html)

kiffie2413 08-10-2014 03:26 PM

Advice on putting together these crazy quilt blocks for quilt...

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
I am finally getting to the end stages of the crazy quilt I have been working on for too long for my Mom. She will be turning 75 this year, and it is also the 10th anniversary of her being in remission from lung cancer. I am trying to decide what color sashing to use to put the blocks together. This is my first ever crazy quilt, the blocks themselves are machine pieced, but all of the embellishing and embroidery is by hand. They are 15" unfinished, and I still have 4 of them to finish embellishing. Here's a pic of what I have so far, this is not the finished layout, I just laid them out for this pic:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]487062[/ATTACH]
Thanks for helping,
Kif

judy363905 08-10-2014 03:42 PM

Hi, I would try a light neutral ...ie. beige, tanish. That way it would not dominate your beautiful blocks. I will be watching for your completed quilt ..you are so lucky to have your Mother ---- Happy 75th to her :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

nannyrick 08-10-2014 03:48 PM

You did a beautiful job. I agree on a light border as Judy says.

Jeanne S 08-10-2014 03:50 PM

My thought would be to use a dark chocolate brown or black sashing. I would want the sashing to recede into the background so your beautiful blocks will be the emphasis/focal point. Would love to see the finished quilt!!

sewellie 08-10-2014 03:57 PM

In looking and thinking about it, I wonder if, since she is a cancer survivor, if a pale pink would be appropriate? Or maybe a pale purple or lavender. I see those colors in there.

BYW, what a wonderfully awesome job you did on it!! I can't figure out where you find time with all that you do. You are my hero. :)

QuiltnNan 08-10-2014 05:24 PM

great blocks. personally, i prefer a crazy quilt to have all of its blocks running together... no sashing. but if you prefer to sash...i vote for a medium color... i think the dark will set the blocks too much apart from each other.

KSellers 08-10-2014 06:10 PM

I would vote for a medium brown.

Terri D. 08-10-2014 06:22 PM

Impressive!! Try black for the sashings, maybe 1/2" to 1" at most?

ragamuffin 08-10-2014 06:49 PM

I would personally go with a dark wine color. I think it would make it look vintage or antique. If you have the colors mentioned above, lay it out and take a picture of it with each color, put them up on your computer screen and study them awhile, keep coming back to the pictures during different times during the day, then you will find one that you like. Good luck with this, I know it works for me.

kiffie2413 08-10-2014 06:55 PM

Thanks all!
You've all confirmed what I was considering, either a neutral, like a tan...Or going with black. I honestly didn't consider a brown...Hmmm..

I worry if I don't sash them then they'll all run together...

And Ellie, thanks for the ideas pertaining to cancer survival. Actually color awareness for lung cancer is white/pearl. I am going to finish one of the remaining blocks with items celebrating her remission, embroider the words courage and hope..add in charms that represent lung cancer awareness, etc...

Great idea, ragamuffin! I planned to lay different fabrics out with the blocks, taking pics to compare is a super idea!

Since its narrowed down to tan, Brown, or black, now I need to decide from those... I have considered a Fairy Frost fabric, as well.

My best "quilt guild sis" finished hers with Fairy Frost black, it's beautiful! But her blocks have more black in them than mine do. After she sashed them, several of us met at her house and we all helped her tie it. Only took a couple of hours with 6 of us working on it.

I guess I should've thought this thru better, and decorated/chose block colors with sashing color in mind...But being a "newbie" and considering it IS a crazy quilt, I guess my being crazy is ok...lol..

Thanks again all,
K