Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice on sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-sewing-machines-t97523.html)

Herbpatch 02-07-2011 08:01 AM

Looking to purchase a new/used sewing machine. My brother is fine, but with arthritis now taking over my hands, I need an up/down foot so I don't have to turn the knob anymore. Have heard Jernome is a reasonable priced machine and people have wonderful luck with them. Any suggestions or thoughts would be helpful.
thanks!

sueisallaboutquilts 02-07-2011 08:04 AM

My suggestion is a good used Bernina. They are fabulous machines!

Fiber Artist 02-07-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
My suggestion is a good used Bernina. They are fabulous machines!

Yes :-D :-D

raptureready 02-07-2011 08:22 AM

Bernina's are wonderful machines but the extra feet are SO expensive. Janome's usually come with the extra feet included and are super machines too.

However, it doesn't matter so much which you choose they'll do about the same things. Go for which ever dealer that offers the best service. Around here it's Janome. The dealer also services/fixes used machines. Our Bernina dealer doesn't do more than the basic cleanings.

Prism99 02-07-2011 08:36 AM

Do you mean you need needle up/down? Where the machine stops with the needle in the fabric? There is also an attachment you can get that allows you to raise and lower the presser foot with your knee.

Many machines come with needle up/down now. Janome is a good brand. You might also want to check out Sears Kenmore machines, as my understanding is that they are made by Janome but cost less for equivalent features.

A key question is your price range. If you post your price range, you may get more specific recommendations with brand and model number.

feffertim 02-07-2011 08:54 AM

I would vote for a Viking Husqvana

NancyG 02-07-2011 09:02 AM

I would recommend a Bernina with the up down needle position and knee lift.

sewwhat85 02-07-2011 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Bernina's are wonderful machines but the extra feet are SO expensive. Janome's usually come with the extra feet included and are super machines too.

However, it doesn't matter so much which you choose they'll do about the same things. Go for which ever dealer that offers the best service. Around here it's Janome. The dealer also services/fixes used machines. Our Bernina dealer doesn't do more than the basic cleanings.

i have both machines and agree with the price of accessories for berninas but if you dont need those it doesnt matter both good machines

pieces 02-07-2011 09:20 AM

I also vote for the Bernina. Great machines. Love mine. :thumbup:

sewingladydi 02-07-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim
I would vote for a Viking Husqvana

Depends on the age of a used machine. My was purchased in 1995 and even my authorized dealer has told me that some parts are just not available any longer. He said something about the factory closing.