Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice of Washing or Not Washing Garage Sale Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-washing-not-washing-garage-sale-fabric-t161313.html)

Deborahlees 10-18-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ

Originally Posted by bearisgray
As long as a note is attached to the item when it's posted, I think it would be up to the buyer to do whatever.

There are some that do not like to work with washed fabrics.

Yup. If you know you won't use it, just state the condition of the fabric in your listing.

"Bought at a yard sale, decided I didn't want it. I have not washed it."

Good disclosure.

Who knows if the original owner washed it, kwim?

KyKat 10-18-2011 10:16 AM

. . . this is making my head itch . . . ick!

kiffie2413 10-18-2011 10:20 AM

Hot dryer suggestion is good. However, for me, I am the wash it, dry it, iron it gal...and, yep, I do have ocd... You should have seen me on our last trip to Vegas...my poor hubby and son probably thought would have been easier to have driven, so I would have had our car to sleep in.. :-D
Kif

sarahsews 10-18-2011 10:42 AM

I would, but that's me.

Monroe 10-18-2011 11:45 AM

I wash all fabric! As a Nurse I've worked in NYC and seen the fabric warehouses. Even had roaches in my clinic- UGH! If you plan to sell it- put the fabric in zippered sealed plastic bags, and let potential buyers know it is up to them to do as they please. I recently bought some fabric at the Thrift store- found live spiders inside the package!

wanda lou 10-18-2011 11:48 AM

I always wash and dry all fabric new or used. why risk it.

GrannieAnnie 10-18-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I know the washing/not washing fabric question has been discussed in depth but my question is regarding some fabric that I bought at a yard sale. There is some very nice fabric in the bag (like some that was just listed here for sale) that I know I won't use. I would like to list it here for sale and then keep what I want to use myself.

Ok, now do I wash and iron it before listing or do I list it with the caveat that it was purchased at yard sale and has not been washed? The seller were "upscale" and actually was a jewelry maker and had really nice things. I haven't brought the fabric inside yet...its in my car as I was undecided what to do.

Would it bother any of you to buy fabric listed like this?

if I were going to pass the fabric on, I'd leave it in the garage and then tell the next buyer where it came from
WITHOUT WASHING

Anything I kept would hit the washer first off.

Lynnejean 10-18-2011 01:31 PM

I have bought loads of fabric from garage sales, flea markets, etc and PLEASE PLEASE always wash it! You don't know where it has been or where the saler got it from.

QandE2010 10-18-2011 01:33 PM

I would wash it but not iron it until I was ready to use it. To me, it doesn't matter where it comes from, I feel better with clean fabric.

vivoaks 10-19-2011 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by PegD
Wouldn't bother me.

Same here.