Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice on what brand of machine to buy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-what-brand-machine-buy-t18292.html)

Butterflyquilts 03-30-2009 07:19 AM

I have a Babylock Espire which is one of their Quilters Dream series. I love it and it in your price range. It is very user friendly and has some great features. I would totally recommend it or any of the Babylocks.

quiltingbee12 03-30-2009 07:22 AM

I am not recomending a sewing machine, because I only have old ones. But, stay away from the newer singers, unless it is the XL-Quatam or whatever its called. I do not recomend Computerized because while I have never sewed on one, they are very expensive to repair if you are sewing and there is a power outage you have a big issue. Etc.
I do second the Elna. I know someone who loves the one she has, and they have some great features.

shaverg 03-30-2009 07:23 AM

I am in California, the Baby lock for quilting is $999.00 and the Janome is 1499.00. Both are in your price range. If you know your dealer they will sometimes give you a nice quilting cabinet for free or a reasonable price. It extends to support your quilt, while machine quilting. They are a nice weight compared to the Bernina which I love, but it is heavy.

RedGarnet222 03-30-2009 11:43 AM

While you are at the quilt store ask about a used machine. Sometimes the ladies trade in some very nice machines that you can get for a fraction of buying one new. Just a thought.

montanaquilter 03-30-2009 01:26 PM

i will absolutely ask about that. thanks for the advice!! I did notice that a lot of quilt shops online are selling refurbished ones.

BellaBoo 03-30-2009 02:20 PM

It also depends on the dealer you have. The one machine dealer in my area will not take trade ins. Said they were too hard to sell, meaning the new machines were not selling when a gently used one was for sale. And she moans about customers not being loyal to her. :roll:

montanaquilter 03-30-2009 02:54 PM

i saw that and laughed!! thought maybe it was a really old one!! :lol:
that's okay it brightened my day and probably maybe many others. what's life if you can't screw up a little and laugh about it later.

MadQuilter 03-30-2009 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Didn't anyone wonder what a Betty Crocker sewing machine was?

I did - lol, but it would not have surprised me if there was such an animal.

When I was in the market for a machine, I did A LOT of research. I read a lot of reviews on line and talked to other sewers as you are doing here. (Mine was BQB :wink: )

I found out what different features were available and how important these features were to me. Then I narrowed down the list of contenders and went "test driving." I ended up with a Pfaff "Quilt and something" that has a built-in walking foot, a needle down position selector, and a low bobbin indicator. It also has more stitches than I'll ever use but the first three items were my MUST HAVES.

Since, I added a Brother "Jeans and something" to take to quilting classes. Love it for the drop in bobbin, and it does a respectable button hole stitch.

Then I added a Pfaff Grandquilter and plan to use it with my Handiquilter frame. It runs like a Gazelle on steroids, has a 9"X6" throat opening which is great for quilting, but it only has a straight stitch, so not advisable for an "only" machine. It also runs a little harder/louder than I anticipated and I wonder if I am not oiling it enough.

Happy shopping. BTW: make sure you haggle!!!!!

sandpat 03-30-2009 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Sorry I posted on the wrong post!! Didn't anyone wonder what a Betty Crocker sewing machine was? LOL! It was meant for the bread machine recipe page. LOL!

Yup...I saw it Loretta....I just thought your marbles were rolling....mine do that some too :oops: :lol:

peaceandjoy 03-30-2009 03:45 PM

You might want to check this month's issue of "Consumer Reports." There is a review of sewing machines in it.