Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice on wool scrap quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-wool-scrap-quilt-t88909.html)

quiltsRfun 01-09-2011 07:22 AM

We recently had a moth invasion in DH's closet. Several suits ended up with enough damage that he can't wear them. I usually pass along old clothes to the thrift store but since these are unwearable I'd like to use them for a quilt. Any suggestions on how I should handle the fabric? Will pre-washing take care of shrinkage and make it washable in the future? Also, I'm thinking this might be a quilt that would do better tied. As for the pattern, I'm thinking of something simple, maybe just alternating squares. Or since I'll have odd shapes from lapels, etc. maybe a crazy quilt using some of the fancy stitches on my sewing machine.

I'm having a hard time getting started with this cause I hesitate to cut up these expensive suits. But they really aren't good for anything else.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and pictures if you have any.

Thanks in advance.

Missysgottohelp 01-09-2011 07:54 AM

I saw one not to long ago that was done in a brick pattern.

quiltsRfun 01-09-2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Missysgottohelp
I saw one not to long ago that was done in a brick pattern.

Sounds like a good option. I've been wanting to do a brick quilt.

amma 01-09-2011 08:05 AM

yep, I would deconstruct them and wash them first :D:D:D

mama's place 01-09-2011 08:11 AM

I saw a crazy quilt just recently that was constructed from wool and velvet in a fan pattern placed on point. It was put together with fancy embroidery as it was a vintage quilt but very attractive. The bidder on ebay had only bid about $25 dollars for it since it had some damage. I was tempted to buy it to use as a pattern and a cutter. It was gorgeous. Some of the fabric was in suiting colors and then there were accent pieces in bright velvets. Really lovely. You might check and see if it is still showing to check out this for ideas.

mama's place 01-09-2011 08:13 AM

Looking at the ad at the bottom of the page...Have you considered having the moth holes repaired or rewoven. The ad is for The French Re-weavers to repair moth holes. Just an idea. Never had that done.

quiltsRfun 01-09-2011 08:14 AM

I hadn't thought of a fan pattern but that would also work. Guess since it's from DH's suit I've been thinking masculine. But it could go the other way with the right treatment.

Candace 01-09-2011 08:23 AM

Wash it in hot and dry it in hot to shrink it up to its maximum., Wool also is great for applique and penny rugs.

ckcowl 01-09-2011 10:20 AM

start with taking apart the garments, remove all buttons, zippers, snaps, and lining. i usually just cut the seams right off. when you have a large pile of wool fabric toss it into the washer with a small amount of detergent and HOT-HOT WATER wash on the setting for good agitation. i usually drain the washer and fill it a second time with hot water. then rinse in cold, toss into dryer and dry on hot heat. when your wool comes out it will be all ready to be cut up and used any way you would like. makes great patchwork or appliques. there are some web sites to visit for ideas, tutorials, and inspiration...Sue Spargo does some pretty (modern) designs with wools. primative gatherings is another one to check out. if you visit the cotton patch quilt shoppe in east tawas michigan and look at the page of 'customer-show & tell' my black wool appliqued quilt is there. they also offer lots of bom's in wool so looking at those pictures can be more inspiration. I love working with wool :thumbup:

quiltsRfun 01-09-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by mama's place
Looking at the ad at the bottom of the page...Have you considered having the moth holes repaired or rewoven. The ad is for The French Re-weavers to repair moth holes. Just an idea. Never had that done.

We checked into that but the re-weaver even discouraged it. Said we'd never be satisfied with the results. The damage was too extensive. Interestingly it didn't show up until after the suits were dry cleaned. So you may want to check your closets.