Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   advise on my flannel throw......... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advise-my-flannel-throw-t160477.html)

girliegirl 10-14-2011 05:12 PM

I have a flannel square throw that I pieced together and i am going to border it and then put a flannel back on it.... I have batting for it.. Question now is should I attempt to machine quilt it with a stitch in the ditch? or just go corner to corner or should i just knot it with buttons that match it and finish it up with binding ??? I have never machine quilted... will this be too heavy for a first?? my binding is flannel as well.............or should i leave out the batting?

cherylynne 10-14-2011 05:16 PM

I machine quilt my flannel quilts. I have done stitch in the ditch and meander on the long arm. It is a big, heavy quilt, but they come out great. I use only warm and natural batting and it was fine.

suebee 10-14-2011 05:23 PM

i agree!

Originally Posted by cherylynne
I machine quilt my flannel quilts. I have done stitch in the ditch and meander on the long arm. It is a big, heavy quilt, but they come out great. I use only warm and natural batting and it was fine.

clynns 10-14-2011 05:40 PM

I made a rag quilt using flannel on the front and back plus batting. TOO HEAVY. It is so heavy, I had to take it to the laundermat to wash it, use a water extractor to get the water out and it still wouldn't spin the water out. If your using flannel, I'd skip the batting. It will be warm enough without using batting. Me and the woman who ran the laundermat had to twist it to try to wring out the water. It took $4.50 to dry. (wasn't all the way dry). I gave it away shortly after. I spent big bucks on making it, and was so disappointed that it wasn't practical to clean that I gave it away. It was too big (large twin size)to take apart and take the batting out.

Greenheron 10-14-2011 05:43 PM

I think the buttons would be appropriate. I've been planning a flannel and denim with buttons, but no batting, perhaps an old cotton sheet blanket.

luckylindy333 10-14-2011 05:49 PM

It depends on how warm and heavy that you want it. I would just put the flannel on the back and leave out the batting if it were me, but I am always warm at night. buttons would be really cute, or tying, or meandering. Personally, I hate stitching in the ditch.

girliegirl 10-14-2011 05:50 PM

I did a denim rag quilt with all my old jeans and i found red denim at walmart and did it as a checker board! will have to post it in pictures!

Originally Posted by Greenheron
I think the buttons would be appropriate. I've been planning a flannel and denim with buttons, but no batting, perhaps an old cotton sheet blanket.

athomenow 10-14-2011 06:09 PM

I only use two pieces of flannel back to back with no batting. Plenty warm and no need of batting. I wouldn't be able to move under all that weight!

blueangel 10-14-2011 06:41 PM

I think it would be too heavy with batting.

Carron 10-14-2011 06:44 PM

I think as the others on not using a batting. Flannel is warm and heavy on it's own. Two layers will work great.