Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Afghan women are coming to quilt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/afghan-women-coming-quilt-t114205.html)

Sienna's GiGi 04-07-2011 06:12 AM

I am so excited! I started a quilt/knit/crochet group two weeks after I arrived in Afghanistan (my sewing machine was here two weeks before I was) and it has been a huge hit. We make quilts and clothing for local children. Well, we decided some months ago to see if we could reach out to Afghan women to see if they would be open to quilting with us. I got the word from security today that our first group of women will be here this weekend. Electricity is a luxury for the rich outside the gate so I will be supplying hand needles, thread and materials to get the women started on a crib size quilt top. There will be a total of five women and they are bringing pastries and beverages locally and we are going to share our american cuisine with them. My question is how would you conduct your quilting get-togethers? Are there any dos or don'ts? There is a language barrier for some but a few are fluent in english and dari/farsi. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Annaquilts 04-07-2011 06:15 AM

I have no tips but I would think if they can see it then they can do it. So maybe work a project just ahead of them and show a finnished project. This is wonderful. Can't wait to hear how it goes and see the finnished quilts.

clem55 04-07-2011 06:18 AM

What a great thing you are doing! No idea on what to do or not, but I think anytime you get a new group together for the firdt time, just make sure everyone feels included in the conversation. I am usually sort of quiet and shy in a situation like that, but get me talking and and watch out!LOL Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Dandish 04-07-2011 06:18 AM

That is very wonderful and interesting! In that part of the world (I don't know about Afghanistan in particular) they have a long rich history of a wonderful cross-stitch type of work called "tatreez" in arabic. Some of it is stunning. It is often times uniquely stylized in each particular village/region, much in the same fashion as the amish in certain areas use only certain colors and/or patterns.

I hope your outreach is very successful (I'm sure it will be) and you will be nurturing friendship, knowledge and much more in this endeavor. Have fun, and please keep us updated as to how it's going.

Maia B 04-07-2011 06:23 AM

To be on the safe side, maybe avoid images of animals or people in the fabrics. Some would be bothered by this. Of course you know not to serve any pork. (I only mention it b/c so much American cuisine does have pork). Tell them "Salam" for me! :)

redkimba 04-07-2011 06:29 AM

Good luck with the outreach. Please keep us updated. I would love to hear of your adventures.

Grama Lehr 04-07-2011 06:33 AM

What a kind. loving gesture. I really hope that all have a good time.

the casual quilter 04-07-2011 06:51 AM

This is a wonderful thing you are doing. I guess I would let the group evolve naturally. I'm not familiar with the Afghan culture, but I think I'd not be too proactive in "making" the group, but let it find it's own level. If you and the ladies are short on supplies and if there is a way I can get you some, PM me.

Rebecca VLQ 04-07-2011 06:56 AM

:D :D :D

What a great thing to do! QUILTING CIRCLE!!!!

PaperPrincess 04-07-2011 07:23 AM

Sounds like fun! The only thing i can think of is to avoid fabric and patterns that depict people as they have a prohibition on human images, but there's lots of florals and solids & batiks out there so you should be good!!!