Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Afraid to Fail or Afraid to Try? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/afraid-fail-afraid-try-t312873.html)

Stitchnripper 10-23-2020 12:38 PM

I like trying out new techniques, new methods, new tools. I am not in the camp of “I was taught to always (fill in the blank). I am not afraid of new things. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. But I have fun trying.

GingerK 10-23-2020 01:55 PM

I too have learned to try a new block or technique using scraps. I hate wasting good fabric on things that don't work, need tweeking or that I don't enjoy doing. I am drawn to scraps--using up what someone else would probably toss out. Maybe it's in my blood--both my parents lived thru the dirty 30's--or maybe it's my small way of reducing waste in my home. Scraps make me work my brain and I think that is a good thing.

Julienm1 10-23-2020 02:12 PM

Free motion quilting scares me to death. Just started TODAY and I know it's a huge learning curve but OMG. Just have to keep at it I guess. I wonder if you have to have some artistic "eye" and coordination to be a good FM quilter and I'm afraid I may have neither. Everyone here says practice practice practice but it is hard for me. I found my CDs for quilting motifs and maybe soon this will help me.

IrishNY 10-23-2020 02:32 PM

I'm hesitant to try new things because I have such a limited amount of time that I don't want to "waste" it doing something that doesn't turn out. Looking forward to retirement in a few years when time will not hang so heavily over my head and I can dive into things that may or may not go well.

petthefabric 10-23-2020 04:29 PM

I'm better than some and some are better than me. So what? I quilt for myself. If it doesn't get finished, oh well, I enjoyed what I did.
Then there's comfort quilts. My goals are to use up stash and give something someone will like. Leaves the field pretty wide open. Some are way out there. A friend said she liked quilting mine because they are so different.

Teen 10-23-2020 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 8427042)
I'm better than some and some are better than me. So what?..

Amen!

I’m pretty fearless in quilting and will attempt anything, Then, I turn on my tenaciousness and keep at it until I am satisfied. But, honestly, quilting is one of those crafts that continues to reflect growth in skills the more you do it. My goal is to reach the level of perfectly imperfect.

quiltedsunshine 10-23-2020 05:42 PM

Free-motion is still a struggle. But i can't give up! I'm a working girl, so I don't have time to practice until I get good at it. I can't get the design even, and I can't end and begin without a mess. I do a little better when I use stencils, then free-motion on the lines. And background fills are easier than borders, block designs or edge to edge. Pantographs are a good way to go free-motion, but far from perfect for me.

When rulers first came out, I thought, "that looks pretty lame." But I love my rulers, so much!

luvstoquilt 10-24-2020 03:35 AM

I always try to improve. My worst problem is getting in a hurry to finish. I am working very hard on slowing down and it is really working. When I look at some of my early work I know I am improving but I still love those early attempts. Last year I made “Circa 1800” by Pam Buda......many tiny pieces. It was a lot of work and I am glad I made it but I don’t want to do anything that intense again. I learned a lot making it and I definitely improved. But I will stick to 1930’s and Civil War that I really love best.

pbraun 10-24-2020 04:10 AM

Julieasb...I too wanted do machine quilting and ruler work. I could do SITD with a special foot, and straight lines using painter's tape. But for special quilts I went to the best longarmer. Took a ruler class at my LQS but my lines were so wonky. Bought two more rulers and played around...not much better. Took a free rulers class, TWICE from different LQSs during pandemic, bought another starter set of rulers and a cross marker tool, and voila! By the third class, enough tips were shared that all made sense and I quilted 40 flannel squares. Now some look great on the front, others look great on the back, most are a bit wonky but overall they give me the confidence to continue. ( I used a row by row quilt as you go technique so I didn't have too much on the table at a time.) As others said, I make utility quilts and while I love the colors that add to a room's ambiance, they are for warmth. So, don't be afraid to try something, but DO get help and instruction however you can...and give your quilts with love.

aashley333 10-24-2020 04:13 AM

I will try anything once. SID was the only way I taught myself. I literally started sewing squares together for my first quilt. Now, everything I do is a new skill to hone. I highly recommend retirement!