Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Afraid of new quilting setup -encouragement & advise needed here (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/afraid-new-quilting-setup-encouragement-advise-needed-here-t173974.html)

pjaco 01-04-2012 02:14 AM

After reading all your posts, I don't feel quite as bad. My problem is Loading the quilt...I don't know what I'm doing and that's the first thing you do. I have no patience. So easy to take it to the other machine that I know what I'm doing. I will make it a priority to learn to quilt on it, others can, I know I can too.

Ellen 1 01-04-2012 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK (Post 4829962)
I know this sounds weird. But I bought a small used midarm setup with a Little Gracie II frame 3 months ago and I am scared to death to use it! At first I could not wait to buy one. Then I helped my son set up the frame. And I have barely taken the time to learn all that is involved. I have made a few quilts but I just use my DSM for free motion.
Honestly, the truth is I am scared!
Has anyone else been like this? I feel so guilty for spending the $$ now it is just sitting there. I really need some encouragement or advice.

Pin on a piece of muslin or any fabric that you don't care what happens to it. Then just "sew/quilt" with the machine, to get comfortable. Smoothness, etc. will come with practice. Do you know anyone else that has any type of midarm or longarm? Ask them if they could "come over to play". Someone that has some experience will help give you the confidence to go-it-alone. Don't feel guilty about the $$ spent. You will get going on it and be glad you have it or perhaps you will want to upgrade some day. Enjoy it now.....let your DSM piece the tops. :) Ellen

Digitizingqueen 01-04-2012 09:18 AM

definatly use regular fabric before you laoad a quilt - I stated with muslin sandwiches when I first got my long arm great practice and easy to throw out if mistkes are made! (Or keep as learning tools)

Dar-midlife 01-05-2012 07:23 AM

deleted-reposted

Dar-midlife 01-05-2012 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Quilterfay (Post 4839152)
I have read on several threads that we get these machines and frames and then we are afraid we will do something wrong when we get them. If only my hands would work as good as my brain I would have no problem with my frame. I think I know what to do but when I go to do it it does not turn out as good as I expected.

They tell me practise practise practise. I have had my frame for three years and just really started to use it the last six month but now I a snowbird so my frame is at home in Canada. I have all these LARGE quilts that need to be quilted. Of course they are way to big for my next generation frame.

Good luck.

quilterfay; I just got mine but when I was at shows shopping, one of the vendors told me if I am scared or think "I'll never get this" to promise myself that I will practice 15 a day for 2 weeks and then re-evaluate. might be something for you to try.

Nanatoone 01-15-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR (Post 4833535)
Me too! Well, I wasn't scared, but I hated it! Now the frame is in the garage and the machine is on my desk (still great for FMQ!) and just thinking about it makes me feel sick! All that money... :( I have had an ad on Craigslist, but nobody else wants it, either!

Ashley Why did you not like it? I have a Janome 1600 on the little Gracie Frame I have had all kinds of problem but I am determined to use it after the money I have spent. I had tension problems , thread problems and when I tried to do a pantograph it made horrible stitches, I finally got two rows done and they don't look too bad. I'm waiting on my stitch regulator to get here and hope it helps with my stitch problems . I know now it will take lots of practice, and then MORE Practice.I use #50 superior Sure Fine thread as was recommended to me by one of the members here and it stopped my thred breakage. Don't give up!!!

Rose Marie 01-16-2012 05:39 AM

You will love the stitch regulator. It is expensive but worth it if like me you just cannot control the lenghth of your stitchs.

Morag 04-19-2012 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR (Post 4833535)
Me too! Well, I wasn't scared, but I hated it! Now the frame is in the garage and the machine is on my desk (still great for FMQ!) and just thinking about it makes me feel sick! All that money... :( I have had an ad on Craigslist, but nobody else wants it, either!

Hey there, what kind of frame do you have? I might be interested. I live in southwest Virginia.

MaryMo 04-19-2012 02:08 PM

Do you have a friend that quilts on one? Getting together with an encouraging friend could be fun for both of you. Sometimes two heads are better than one in getting something going.

Merivale 04-19-2012 02:09 PM

I am sending you an understanding nod. An arm over your shoulder for comfort, an encouraging hug and a gentle push in the back. Get out a nice size piece of fabric and don't try and learn it all just have a play together, make friends, you know it wants to help you. You will grow to love it quick as a lick.