Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Aiy yie yie! Rotary cut finger! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/aiy-yie-yie-rotary-cut-finger-t259797.html)

GailG 01-16-2015 10:14 AM

Aiy yie yie! Rotary cut finger!

Well, it finally happened! After having boasted earlier how I held my fingers to get an accurate cut with the June Tailor Short Cut, I placed my finger too close and sliced it. To get a better spread of my left hand, I apply pressure to the Short Cut with my thumb and middle finger. I place them as close as I can to the slit I'll be cutting through. .. usually an inch from the slit. I was slicing 2 1/2 inch strips when I felt it!! My INDEX finger was much closer ( up in the air) and it was cut. I didn't look to see how deep it is because it was bleeding so much. Just applied pressure, ran for a piece of aloe vera.It now has a bandage. I did finish my cutting for two blocks.

notmorecraft 01-16-2015 10:15 AM

Member of the club now x

Tartan 01-16-2015 10:19 AM

When you can stomach it, you better have a look. Nothing I hate worse then a piece of skin hanging that should have had a stitch but I guess you could use Crazy Glue if you can stand the pain(acetone). Someone needs to come up with a medal for wounded quilters.:D

Onebyone 01-16-2015 10:21 AM

So sorry. As I said before it's not a matter of if but when someone will have a rotary accident. It took one cut for me to know I never wanted the chance of that happening again. I don't cut without using the Slidelock, even on the ShapeCut ruler. For small rulers I use a cut resistant glove like a butcher wears. They are cheap on Amazon.

KenmoreGal2 01-16-2015 10:39 AM

I read a whole thread about this a few months back and immediately bought a Klutz glove. I wear it almost every time I cut. If I only have to make one small cut, sometimes I skip the glove but I feel naked and vulnerable without it. I'm a newbie to quilting and using rotary cutters so it was easy for me to make using the glove a habit. For me it's like buckling up when I get in a car.

ManiacQuilter2 01-16-2015 11:06 AM

Sorry you are now a member of that club. Glad you didn't need to get any stitches.

Onebyone 01-16-2015 11:26 AM

For me it's like buckling up when I get in a car.
Exactly. When was demoing how to rotary cut safely at guild to new members I was disgusted when I heard a few guild members tell the beginner quilters if you are careful and pay attention you don't have to worry about a cut, I've never cut myself and I've been quilting for years.

mom-6 01-16-2015 11:48 AM

I don't seem to have a problem cutting myself while actually using my rotary cutter. It's when I forget to click the blade back in after I've finished that I can get in trouble one way or another.

Dina 01-16-2015 12:03 PM

Ouch! Don't do that again. Hope it heals quickly...

Dina

Cari-in-Oly 01-16-2015 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 7050275)
I don't seem to have a problem cutting myself while actually using my rotary cutter. It's when I forget to click the blade back in after I've finished that I can get in trouble one way or another.

I haven't cut myself yet but have had a couple close calls. I did teach myself from the beginning to lock my blade every time I set my cutter down. It's habit now.

Cari