Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   All Minky....need opinions on the actual quilting..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-minky-need-opinions-actual-quilting-t286896.html)

roguequilter 03-19-2017 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by trif (Post 7787211)
I thought of that but really really love the hearts on the back. I will have to work with it to keep the fabric I love

how about basting stitch in ditch from front ..turn over and do meandering around the hearts within the areas of outlined shapes of front design. it's not that difficult to remove basting stitches from minky. been there done that. as mentioned before ..challenge junky :thumbup:

roguequilter 03-19-2017 09:32 AM

i love the heart fabric too. i would use it on front of another quilt. found a fabulous daisy print few years ago. sculptured like your hearts. perfect in little totes for grands.

lynnie 03-19-2017 09:39 AM

SITD sounds like a great idea. i love the backing with the hearts

trif 03-19-2017 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by roguequilter (Post 7787216)
how about basting stitch in ditch from front ..turn over and do meandering around the hearts within the areas of outlined shapes of front design. it's not that difficult to remove basting stitches from minky. been there done that. as mentioned before ..challenge junky :thumbup:

Good idea!! I hadn't thought about quilting the back to the front! I think the stitches would disappear on the front since that's the rose minky(fluffier) and I could maintain the look I want on the back.

roguequilter 03-19-2017 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by trif (Post 7787229)
Good idea!! I hadn't thought about quilting the back to the front! I think the stitches would disappear on the front since that's the rose minky(fluffier) and I could maintain the look I want on the back.

quilting from the back is always a neat way to do. but i do hope you can maintain the integrety of the stark geometric of this quilt pattern. it's gorgeous. is this your pattern or a commercial one. i really do love it!

roguequilter 03-19-2017 11:26 AM

one last thought ...i started spray basting my flannel & minky quilts several years ago. was amazed at how stable all was. both minky & flannel stretch quite a bit & regardless of how densely i basted. i got tucks & creases in the back. especially at seam intersections. first attempt w spray basting i was amazed ..& i only spray baste these types of quilts now. i don't know if you have a long arm or use a domestic, i use a domestic ..janome 1600 ..even the weight & size of medium large minky quilt works on my machine. i have a friend that puts minky on backs of most the quilts she makes for friends or her grands. has long arm ..says using long arm on minky is difficult because of stretching. so ..if you long arm, perhaps you could get some input from longarmers here on the board who have experince w minky quilts & have tips/tricks to help you. may need to start a new discussion thread for this subject.
..looking forward to seeing pics of this quilt finished!!!

suern3 03-19-2017 05:19 PM

I have used minky for backing quilts several times and have had very good luck with it. I find that the quilting kind of disappears into the minky. I think when you do your practice piece you will be able to decide on the quilting you want to use. I don't think it will need anything elaborate since the texture of the quilt will be wonderful. I normally use Quilters Dream batting. They have a thin version called Request, I think. Check their website for particulars. You have made an awesome quilt and I'm sure the girlfriend will love it! BTW, I do my quilting on my DSM. It sounds like you may have a long arm and so your experience may be different than mine. I hope not!

Claire123 03-19-2017 09:16 PM

I have only used minky for pillow backs, so really can't say. I would keep it simple and practice on some scraps first.

beadywoman 03-20-2017 03:34 AM

How about turning the quilt over, and stitching inside the grey hearts?

kittiebug 03-20-2017 03:58 AM

Beautiful quilt , I use minky on back of quilts , Good luck it will be gorgeous what every you do..:thumbup: