Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Almost finished with the baby quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/almost-finished-baby-quilt-t228698.html)

amelia0607 08-24-2013 09:00 PM

Almost finished with the baby quilt

II started working on this quilt in May, I think. It's my first project (made a practice blankie for dog and a practice doll blanket). I've used a panel and pieced two borders with a few appliqued "patches" on it. Now have to bind it. On the doll blanket I used the packaged binding but only because mom had some in with the stuff she gave me when I abducted her sewing machine. On the dog blanket, I left some extra backing and brought it over. And I could do either of those on this quilt; however, buying binding would be a little expensive but I could do it.

I really need to finish this because I have two doll blankets to make soon for a couple of special 3 year olds and a small lap quilt for my SIL for Christmas and then I need to start on baby blankets, notice I said blanketS!! If all goes well, grandchildren 2 & 3 will be joining us in April. Please say a prayer for this as daughter has had three miscarriages in the past year.

Anyway, what is the easiest way to bind - pre-made binding, binding made from fabric, or bringing backing over? I will be using a machine as I have hand tremors and just can't hand stitch anymore. This is one of the reasons I've turned to quilting. I used to embroider and needlepoint but can't keep hands steady enough anymore but so far so good with the machine.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

Amy

Jan in VA 08-24-2013 10:22 PM

Easily make your own binding from quilting fabric that compliments your top. Cut your strips about 2.5" wide from the cross grain of fabric (from selvage edge to selvage edge), join the strips on the diagonal at the ends, machine sew to the front with a 1/4" seam and fold to the back to hand sew down.

Bias strips are used for quilts with curved edges; they are not needed for straight edge quilts.

Pre-made bindings are generally of less quality fabric than that which you can make yourself.

Some quilters make their binding strips 2.25" wide; others cut theirs up to 2.75" wide. Use what works for you.

Many quilters feel binding is the best part of quilt making!

Jan in VA

Prism99 08-24-2013 11:24 PM

I would just add some tips for finishing the binding by machine. (1) After sewing the binding on to the back, iron the binding away from the quilt body -- unless the batting is polyester, in which you case you might want to skip this step to ensure that you do not melt the batting! (2) Use Elmer's white washable school glue to glue the binding in place. (3) Choose a decorative stitch to finish. If your machine has one, the easiest decorative stitch to use is one that does not have a straight line running down the middle -- for example, a feather stitch with a meandering middle.

Here is a link to a Youtube video that shows how to glue the binding down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE

JustAbitCrazy 08-25-2013 01:02 AM

I agree with Jan, and there is a way to diagonally seam the two ends of the binding together when you reach the end of the machine sewing on the first side, so that the binding is then the exact right size for the remaining space, and the diagonal seam blends in with all the others made when piecing the binding strips together. It is done the same way you diagonally piece the binding strips together before sewing it to the quilt. You need to leave about 10 inches or so of each end loose and not sewn down. And the ends need to overlap only as much in inches as the unfolded binding strip was wide (how wide you originally cut the strip.) This is much better than trying to stuff one end of binding into the other, which is always bulky. I don't know of any book which has these instructions. I believe I got my instructions from a magazine. I have written it up in my own words for my own records. PM me your address if you want me to mail you a copy of it.

gabeway 08-25-2013 04:35 AM

Your own material is best, like Jan says.

berryberry 08-25-2013 04:54 AM

Binding is my least favorite thing about quilting. I do a lousy job of it. The only way I have found for me to make it even is to bring the backing over. I fold it once and then fold over the quilt edges. I use elmer's glue to hold it in place, let it dry and then use a decorative stitch. The decorative stitch I use is like a blanket stitch except it does one stitch to the right of the line and then the next stitch to left of the line. Good luck with the binding.

Misty's Mom 08-25-2013 05:00 AM

I love to use the flange binding method because you sew on the wrong side of the quilt, turn to the right side and SITD in the flange seam - done.