Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   almost had it !!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/almost-had-t136589.html)

joym 07-10-2011 10:45 AM

after about 3-5 yrs of trying to do this free motion quilting, I thought I had it today BUT my quilting machine needle kept breaking. I cannot lower feed dogs on this machine and I tried to cover them but either way the sewing works but the new needle keeps breaking.................does anyone know why?
I think this is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do but not succeed! :| :| :| :| :|

amma 07-10-2011 10:46 AM

Maybe try using a larger needle? :D:D:D

TonnieLoree 07-10-2011 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by joym
after about 3-5 yrs of trying to do this free motion quilting, I thought I had it today BUT my quilting machine needle kept breaking. I cannot lower feed dogs on this machine and I tried to cover them but either way the sewing works but the new needle keeps breaking.................does anyone know why?
I think this is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do but not succeed! :| :| :| :| :|

The throat plate perhaps? If it has just a hole in it for straight stitching, it can be changed out (hopefully you have one) for one that has a wider opening, for instance, zig-zagging.

QuiltnNan 07-10-2011 10:56 AM

your needle breaks because the motion of the fabric bends the needle and the needle misses the hole. perhaps a stronger needle will work, perhaps slowing down the fabric motion good luck

Holice 07-10-2011 10:59 AM

you don't describe how you are FMQing. there could be a lot of reasons. A full and complete and detailed description would give inquiring minds a metter chance of making informed suggestions.

joym 07-10-2011 11:22 AM

thanksfor your suggestions ...still struggling but have to quit for now......headache! Maybe I will have to take a lesson or two or three!!

Holice 07-10-2011 11:26 AM

a lesson would be helpful then you will be able to have some hands on assistance for your problems.

PaperPrincess 07-10-2011 02:33 PM

Yes, this is one area that lessons are really helpful. I struggled on my own but just a couple of comments from my instructor really helped.

azwendyg 07-10-2011 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Yes, this is one area that lessons are really helpful. I struggled on my own but just a couple of comments from my instructor really helped.

I agree. I worked at it for awhile myself, but made some major leaps forward by taking a hands-on class. There's nothing like some expert feedback to help move you along the way!

nativetexan 07-10-2011 03:41 PM

what foot are you using?? it must be a darning foot/spring foot. it actually has a spring on the shaft. this helps keep the fabric still the split second the needle is in the fabric.

and i took a class where we were told not to lower our feed dogs. i've done FMQ both ways.